Volume control at the speaker?

Very impressive, but...

(1) A great FM exciter does not guarantee a clean signal as received. There's many a slip between the cup and the lip.

(2) As big and expensive as this Harris puppy is, it can only do 78 dB dynamic range. That can be matched or beaten by a $70 PC sound card. I'm talking stereo performance compared to stereo performance.

Again, add antennas, signal path, and even an exceptionally good FM receiver, and real-world performance through the whole loop is not all that wonderful by modern standards.

Admittedly the basic performance specs of 78 dB dynamic range and 0.5 dB FR aren't shabby, but it doesn't compare to what you can do with digital coding for a tiny fraction of the price.

(3) The worst thing about FM broadcasting is what they do to the signal intentionally, not accidentally. Of course we can't blame the medium for that.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Sure, but the point is they do not aply to the digital output. You were saying that the noise figures showed the box was not handing .wav files.

That's wrong; the noise figures show the performance of the D-to-A part of the product, and are nothing to do with whether it is handling .wav files.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Martin

I think you're missing the point. I know it actually.

The analogue output noise will be determined by the ADC outouts - and hence the 'system performance' - *not* the other way round ! I design this kind of stuff you know ! I know my shit. Any *half competent* analogue line level output will be capable of 110dB s/n or better

OTOH if you wish to wallow in your ignorance - please be my guest.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Sorry, I obviously meant the DAC outputs.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

And you're now talkng gobbledegook.

I don't actually care matey.

I *know* the performance that linear 16 bit pcm can supply and the specs I quoted from the website were *clearly * not representative of same.

In short, I know you're talking nonsense.

If you think you're smarter than me then please feel free to fool yourself.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

LOL !

Wal Mart is indeed another story.

I tend to talk mainly of what has become to be known as 'pro-sumer' gear. Stuff that would once have clearly been seen to have 'pro' specs but is now available at a 'consumer' price.

I have zero interest in the shit sold by Wal Mart and their ilk. Even if it does have a supposed *big name* on it.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Beg to differ. Ever tried a numerically controlled exciter such as a Harris DIGIT CD modulator?.

u=WWWDIGFMEXCITE

--
Tony Sayer
Reply to

In article , tony sayer writes

Except that that link may not have been too clever;(. Follow this one. Of course not aimed at domestic consumers but as to CD-v-FM quality;)....

Tony Sayer
Reply to
tony sayer

does

That's what I thought you'd say. OK, I know where you're coming from now... I just hope you realize that, by volume, there's a lot more "shit sold by Wal*Mart" than pro-sumer stuff! (Tried to buy an SVHS VCR lately?)

I had a debate years ago with a fellow college student about the best way to make money selling electronics... he wanted the Wal*Mart approach (low cost, high volume, "good enough") whereas I advocated the "boutiquey" approach (lower volumes, noticeable higher cost, honest-to-God specs that would meet with the approval of even the most discerning Pooh Bears). I still prefer the later, but I can see now how, from many angles, my friend's approach is a lot easier to implement for the average Joe, even if there is a lot more competition.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

To cover 1 house you can use 10 mW and have essentially noise free reception...

and you can use ordinary RF receivers and even portable radios outside if you like.

I have an FM link at home and it is very handy.

I agree, you can get better performance on paper using a digital link with special receivers etc etc etc. But its probably not relevent for the application.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I'm not sure what your point is.

No 'processor' can get over the basic problems relating to FM transmission / reception that are inherent to the technique.

Are you aware of how the 'stereo' is extracted from the one transmitted signal ? It isn't exactly a 'clean' process !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Typical snobby view that gets 'audiophiles' a bad name - pound for pound WalMart 'prosumer' stuff probably gives much more satisfaction/pleasure to a vastly higher number of people than so-called 'high end' gear does and is probably a lot more 'honest' too!

As to approach, if you want to make money it is *beyond question* that the 'pile it high, sell it cheap' is by far the most effective method - ask Walmart (256.3 BILLION USD t/o for 2004 according to:

???)..... ;-)

Reply to
Keith G

Just to point out that you aren't that correct in the statement that,

Isn't that accurate as such.

Its not a processor at all!. Its just an exciter, that's the bit that makes up the drive (carrier and modulation) that you then amplify up to the desired power level required for the service cover you wish to provide in an FM transmission system.

The processor will be in front of that, but that in itself is used for other reasons.

It isn't as bad as you seem to think. FWIW I had one of these units outside the listening room because its quite noisy, cooling fans etc, and drove that with a Sony CD player with a pro AES/EBU output and another output direct to a power amp driving a pair of Quad ESL63 speakers. In front of an audience of Six hi-fi types very few could tell the difference, let alone repeatedly, between direct and off-air via an Audiolab tuner.

Of course this may not a a very worthwhile experiment/demo as very few will get to hear an FM TX of that calibre directly driven and without a Processor in line.....

--
Tony Sayer
Reply to

In article , Arny Krueger writes

Yes agreed..

It's streets ahead of the poxy DAB system that we suffer in the UK Arny;!...

We are talking about "radio" broadcasting ?..

Agreed;( or perhaps ;(

Of course the original poster was stating that FM was nowhere near CD quality.

For real "CD quality" you need UK DAB !.

Still the BBC are doing very well knocking out the Proms on VHF FM and with the old Optimod's switched out and very fine a sound it is too:))..

Even despite the odd acoustics of the old Albert Hall!.....

--
Tony Sayer
Reply to

Usenet Death Penalty ? ;-)

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

data

hmmm... what if you'd use say an Asus WL-HDD as a wireless file server/access point ($90, need to add laptop drive) and say a wl-500g (or another wl-hdd) with a USB audio dongle as playback? Will need some programming but it runs linux. But it does not have a user interface at all...

These all have wired ethernet as well. Fun toys.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

data

The original requirement was a *simple* way to get audio from A to B. This chip is designed to do the job. Only recently released.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 18:33:13 +0100, Pooh Bear Gave us:

data

is

Try

They have been doing it for years. Their audio links even have sub channels with data streams.

Top of the line, true diversity multiple band choices, and the aircraft carrier boys use it as well as cops and race car teams/tracks

On the carriers, one guy wears a hard drive DR system, and all comms get recorded on the ship as well.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On 3 Aug 2005 16:10:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@cartchunk.org Gave us:

6 is almost enough to pass DVD quality A/V streams.
Reply to
TokaMundo

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:09:41 +0100, Pooh Bear Gave us:

Sure they are, just not at the consumer level, unless you gotz lotz o money.

Reply to
TokaMundo