Volume control at the speaker?

In a distributed audio system in a residence, how can volume control in each room be accomplished.

I realize that it's more complex than just putting a potentiometer in the speaker leads.

Is this accomplished via 70v distribution system (ie, high-impedance amplifier output)?

Or is some kind of acceptable variable attenuation possible in each room?

Google turns up L-pads. If I understand, an L-pad keeps 8-ohm impedance on the line from the amplifier, while providing an attenuated signal to the speaker.

As long as it is properly chosen, are there any cautions I should know about installing an L-pad for each pair of speakers in a room?

Are L-pads reliable (no noise, etc.)? Brands to recommend? Or avoid?

Other ideas? Speak your peace.

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

Simple answer. Purchase a speaker selector switch at any electronics outlet. The selector switch takes one pair of amplifier outputs and spilts out the output to 4 and up to 8 stereo pairs. (it takes care of the impedance problems).Home run the cable from each stereo pair of speakers in each room to an 8 ohm stereo wall attenuator in that room and then bring the cables back to the speaker selector outputs. Fidelity is not normally a huge concern on room distribution since the speakers are of medium quality to begin with and the music is typically bacground type.

Reply to
rrobertsims

Pray - tell us - how does it do that - " it takes care of the impedance problems " ?

I rather think it does no such thing.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

What they do is introduce a fixed resistance into the load to keep the impedance from dropping too low. It is a common misconception among salespeople, reps, and consumers that they maintain a constant impedance. There is a slight drop in output when the "protection" is introduced. The bottom line is that these units can work quite well but they can also allow impedances at the amplifier to go too low for some amps to reliably drive.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet