Volume control at the speaker?

residence to

whatever

encapsulated -

myself, I have

quite

10Mbps would indeed be fine if the link could grab most of the relevant bandwidth.

Existing 2.4G audiolinks are mostly 'mp3' like. Look for the term 'sub band codec' in the description - although many are simply sold using the confusing and meaningless term 'stereo quality' !

I note that Jim Thompson commented on a analogue FM based 2.4G audio link too.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

In article , Pooh Bear writes

any use?......

--
Tony Sayer
Reply to

I don't care a whole lot about what *one* company is *working on*. How about you point me to an *ANSI* Standard, or even one in progress in a Working Group?

Oh..... I remember, you like to make reference to "standards" that aren't really Standards.

IMHO you aren't trustworthy in discussions.

Reply to
Don Bowey

band codec' in the

meaningless term

Well, I use a wireless link for my Netgear MP101, and it handles .wav files.

I see it says on the box that the MP101 uses 802.11g, which uses the 2.4GHz technology, and speeds are "up to 54Mbps" (yea, right ...).

Tim

.
Reply to
Tim Martin

FM radio transmitter

Receiver in each room,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I was just listening to some .wav files stored on a file server across the room, using a SMC 2662W USB-attached plain-old-vanilla old-tech, low-tech 802.11b wireless interface. The file I was listening to with Winamp was a

44/16 stereo .wav file.

There's also the slight matter of 802.11a which delivers an uncompressed 54 mbps, over shorter distances but still plenty fine to reach across a room or a house.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Product Specifications ? Digital Audio File Formats:

- MP3 up to 320 Kbps or variable bit rate (VBR)

- WMA 8/9 to 192 Kbps

- Internet Radio (streaming MP3)

Trust me - uncompressed digital audio wireless links are not yet available. I expect the MP101 compresses wav files on the fly.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

encapsulated

So, if I was to point you to a company that's actually working on uncompressed digital audio links and they confirmed what I said, would you apologise for your stupid comment above ?

It appears that *YOU* are the one who 'knows jack' since you're basically talking straight out of your arse. I suggest you go learn something about the technology.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

with

Last time I looked anythting they had was compressed.

I've been round the loop several times over a year ago and all the consumer stuff is the same. They talk of 'high quality' or 'stereo quality' but never ever mention it's not linear pcm.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

with

Nought's changed !

With Barix you can bring your audio into the network. The Barix Instreamer or MP3 encoder is an intelligent streaming component that converts analog and digital audio into MP3 which it then transmits into the network.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

encapsulated

your

talking

technology.

The Turtle Beach Audiotron does .wav, and if you wanted to, you could link to it via wireless.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

Mmm - definitely don't follow you here. My (any) 'g' wireless link has a real world 2 megabyte per second transfer speed. There is simply no need for audio compression, and I can see no sign of it happening on either of the machines in the network. The same with video I'd guess - an uncompressed avi file will stream in it's native format.

The Netgear is essentially a mini puter capped by its ability to process compressed audio. It could happily stream uncompressed audio, subject only to bandwidth.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I believe I answered your question.

Now you are doing your other well known thing of tossing in crap to misdirect the topic.

Guy Mason has nothing to do with my points of view. You are an ass for your comment.

You have no integrity.

Reply to
Don Bowey
[snip]
[snip]

Some of us have a 300 CD jukebox ;-)

...Jim Thompson

They are, but not as you might know, or want to pay for them;))

--
Tony Sayer
Reply to

Apparently so they say, one of their OEM modules does cope with this. I'll find out before long as we're installing a 3 mile 5 Ghz link that needs to carry real time PCM....

--
Tony Sayer
Reply to

In this day and age, just about *everything* is a computer.

What's the difference between a $299 stand-alone dedicated client and a $399 computer besides 33% higher cost?

8 rooms? Digital?"

One approach is to have a file server loaded with audio files that are to be distributed. Clients at each location download the audio that is desired at that location.

Another approach is to have intelligent clients that stream audio from off-site services through an on-site router.

I believe the OP said nothing about the wireless connection being necessarily slow, given that the wireless connection was generally available for a reasonable cost.

But a distributed solution running 16 bit linear PCM can be assembled from inexpensive computers.

OK, someone puts together a Linux box and some software.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

..wav and lpcm support was added via a software update; they are not in the manual

Tim

Reply to
Tim Martin

uncompressed

for your

Wireless computer network links can and do work at ten million bits a second or more, with nominal speeds several times that figure.

I've been monitoring my wireless network transmission to my Netgear MP101 while playing an 860MB .wav file (44100Hz/16-bitstereo), and it is sending data at about 200,000 bytes a second, which is about what you'd expect for an uncompressed file. The server software CPU consumption is near-zero - less than 5 CPU seconds in the last 5 minutes.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Martin

each > room be accomplished.

After all the discussion, I do recommend checking out prices to see how much you'd have to pay for Netgear MP101s ... you should be able to get them for $100 or less. If you already have a wireless network, and are not totally strapped for cash, they're worth getting at that kind of price. (There are similar devices, but I'm not familar with those.) The Netgear has a headphone socket, so I guess you could install one in your bedroom for listening to music from your PC or internet radio stations.

I think wireless networks area bit more fiddly to set up than the manufacturers say. And you need to follow the guidelines for security.

And I think the user interface on all these network music players is fiddly - they are typically limited to a four line display, operated via a remote control. The best way to use them seems to be to set up playlists, and have the network music players play those.

Netgear do also make the MP115 media player, which can play video and audio files from your PC over a wireless network. It costs about twice as much as the MP101. I've not seen one, but I'd hope the interface may be easier to use, as it connects to a TV screen.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Martin