Telephone volume control

Greetings,

The volume on my corded telephone receiver is a bit too loud sometimes. It is an AT&T 962 desk phone with a volume control. Even when its volume control is turned all the way down, some calls are too loud. I am looking for a simple volume control or attenuator that I could add to the phone, either right before the phone line plugs into the phone, or between the phone and the earpiece.

Anyone seen or made such a device? I don't want to amplify at all, just attenuate the volume of the phone's earpiece. I don't mind wiring up some kind of rheostat, but I don't reallly know the specs of the device I'd need.

Thanks.