Voltage regulator help!

I'm needing a voltage regulator or DC-DC converter or something similar. I'm not too much of an electrical engineer so I need help figuring out WHAT I need and WHERE to get it. If a part like this is unavailable, I'll need some circuit design ideas to help me make one. Here's the deal...

I'm needing to run a monster servo (Tone Seiko PS-050 if you've seen it) off a 12V battery. I know, I know, just run it off the 12volts - but I'm sticking to the manufacturer's recommendation of 8.4V max. Max current draw is expected in the 4 to 5 amps range.

So that's it. All I need is something to convert the 12V to 8.4V and handle 5 amps. Something efficient would be nice (switching?) I thought this would take about five minutes to find online but I'm having a helluva time.

Any help appreciated! Carsyn

Reply to
carsyng1979

First notion that comes to mind is 1 power NPN transistor (with 'some' heatsink) and its base referenced to a zener in right range, a proper resistor to make the zener active. The efficiency is so-so but is easy to solve. You lose ~15-20W on the range of currents described. Not living in your town the 'WHERE' remains unanswered, I am sure such scrap is "someplace" in my garage mess.

Have fun

Stanislaw.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto