Voltage Regulator 041M03

Can't find any info on this device. I need to know what the output voltage should be. I'm assuming 3 volts, but would like to know for sure. It is getting red hot on the circuit board and is outputting around 7 volts.

Reply to
David Hester

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:13:13 -0800 (PST), David Hester put finger to keyboard and composed:

Can you give us more information, eg number of pins, package style, logo, date codes of other chips on same board, photo, etc.

The number may consist of two parts, a marking code and a date code.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

TO-220 3 leads. Below 041M03 is R535 with the Motorola symbol. This is a vehicle information center from a 1996 Jeep.

Reply to
David Hester

" target=3D"_blank">

Reply to
ghiotom

Here's a picture:

ghiotom

It kinda looks like the 041M03 number is an in-house number used by the board builder, as compared to the choke/transformer number 387M01.

TDK probably refers to the component manufacturer for the choke/xfmr, and the 9522 is very likely the year/week date code 1995, week 22.

If the other TO-220 device has a similar series of numbers/letter on it, the device may not be a voltage regulator.

Finding a cross reference for the 041M03 number is probably going to be a matter of luck if it is just an in-house number.

You may need to examine the associated components after the output pin to get an idea of the correct replacement part, if it is a voltage regulator. The input pin should probably go directly to a 12V source/power terminal if it's a VR.

There may also be other components which have failed.

You might be able to get some clues as to the input and output voltages from a factory service manual wiring diagram, usually available for inspection at a dealership. Some counter guys will even make photocopies.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Here's a picture:

Wild_Bill

mad guess is its a typical 3 terminal TO220 voltage regulator. Probably 12 volts in and unknown out. Could be 5, could be 3, or?. You need to check the voltage ratings and values of the input and output caps on the regulator. That might help give a clue.

If its getting hot, it may just be overloaded. You then need to figure out how to load shed on the output side and fire it back up and see what happens.

Try to see what kind of parts the regulators output is hooked to. If you can ID any chips, look them up and find there voltage ratings.

Look close on the PC board for any signs of burnt parts or discoloration. Also look for bulged or leaking electrolytic capacitors. a shorted cap could overload the regulator.

bob

Reply to
bob urz

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:34:40 -0800 (PST), ghiotom put finger to keyboard and composed:

The MC33060AP is a "Precision SWITCHMODE Pulse Width Modulator Control Circuit":

Could the subject TO-220 device be an NPN chopper, or N-channel MOSFET, in a SMPS?

The pinout looks like BCE or GDS, from L to R.

The SMPS could be generating 50VDC (?) for a vacuum fluorescent display.

FWIW, here is a VFD reference design for automotive applications:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Franc, I think you are right, the more I look at it. It does power a VFD. I feel kind of silly thinking it was a voltage regulator, there's a 7805 right there next to it. Thanks everybody for the help. I think something might be shorted on the secondary to cause it to run so hot.

Reply to
ghiotom

Il giorno domenica 13 dicembre 2009 18:13:13 UTC+1, David Hester ha scritto:

Hallo David, looking for news on the Motorola 041M03 I found your request: I also have problems in finding news about this component, you found out what it is? With what can you replace? If you have heard me did I would be grateful to have. Thanks and regards

Reply to
sirio.cerri