Vista Autorun

Do I need to do anything special to an "autorun.ini" file to get a CD- ROM to auto-execute an *.exe file under Vista. I know under XP, all you need is one line to say Run=whatever, or something like that. Basically, I want the EXE to run (on all popular Windows flavors) when the disk is inserted.

I know this is not the right forum, but we're a bright bunch of guys (mostly).

Thanks!!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

No, the same techniques work, although the user is going to generally going to be prompted if they really want to run your software or not (there are settings for this under Control Panel's "AutoPlay Defaults.")

Note that the more security-conscious or "technical" a user is, the more likely it is they'll have turned AutoPlay off completely. Most companies have it turned off as well, due to the security risk. Hence, be sure to provide instructions for how to manually run/install your software.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Joel Koltner wrote:

You don't say!

JeffM

ng to

ompanies have

to provide

Thanks Joel. I'm going to test it today on a Vista laptop before I burn off 100 copies... I think I also have to set the program to run under "XP Compatibility Mode". Can that be done in an autorun.ini file too?

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Nobody has said it yet so I will have to:

You should switch to Linux and then you wouldn't have this problem.

:)

Reply to
MooseFET

all

Project complete. Turns out there isn't much else you need to do for Autorun.ini under Vista.

Along the way, I did find this handy little utility:

If you have time to alter the bmp graphics, might come in handy some day.

Reply to
mpm

OK, retard boy. In Linux, how does one create a floppy that auto-executes a file contained on it upon insertion?

What problem, dipshit?

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Yes, it figures that the MooseTard would show us how much of a pussy he is by failing to respond to this one.

Well... pussy boy?