Vista

Went into PC Club today to pick up some more RAM.

They told me that they would have Laptops available with XP for another month.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I went to my local Circuit city a few days ago, they usually have about 12 laptops on there lockdown display, they only had two left. I went down the road to Best Buy, they're usual display only had 1 laptop left, but I didn't get a good look at it. There was a fellow hovering over it with his arm laying on top, he told me that it was his and the clerk had went to get the key to remove it from the display. The local Sam's Club had 4 laptops left on display. Oh, only 3 now. :-) Mike

Reply to
amdx

In article , To-Email-Use- snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com (known to some as Jim Thompson) scribed...

That's OK... Copies of Windows 2000 Pro are still readily available on Greed-bay.

Keep the peace(es).

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

On a sunny day (Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:54:07 -0800) it happened Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote in :

DRDOS-7.2 is out too, for free. LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

open source win xp clone :-

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Cool project, I hadn't heard of it!

I really can't imagine that they'll ever be able to "keep up" with Microsoft, though, when it's all volunteers?

I also wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft started adding, e.g., encryption to parts of the OS to make it much more difficult to reverse-engineer if ReactOS ever did become a "threat." They'd just say it's in the name of protecting against virii or something, of course!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Yes its just at the alpha stage now, although I might well try it out, I dont see how it is going to be so hard to keep up at least not with winxp, MS have brought out 3 OS in the last 9 years, the time taken has been longer for each one, as for reverse engineering, you just have to know the API that is available to software apps.

If MS try and push out ALL the competition by making it a totaly closed and encrypted environment I would gues they would come under realy heavy fire from the anti monopoply type institutions, they are already in trouble as it is and have failed to comply with previous rulings, there was an article posted about the EU rulings wich are not being met, vista apears to totaly disregard these too, so we wil have to see what happens.

To totaly encrypt it would need a processor with internal encryption. even so, if the processor can decrypt it, then whats to stop an emulator from doing the same thing.

even so, it doesnt have to be re written for each new OS, wich MS apear to be doing, most apps wont have significant changes due to vista, and I would be surprised if many apps no longer run on winxp for a long time.

Directx is probably the most difficult thing to keep up with. it maybe that only microsoft's media player will be needing the most up to date version.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Microsloth's new trick is the software patent system. They are doing everything they can to make sure that all of the unique aspects of Vista are covered by software patents. File formats, compression algorithms, FAT, the system for handling extended file names...

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Last November, Microsoft and Novell jumped into a shot-gun marriage (over SUSE Linux) with a 5-year patent agreement that is suspicious, to say the least. Lawyers continue to cripple this industry, as they have others.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

How long would it take them to track me down and put me in an iron cage if I put an ISO image of my W2K pro on my website? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Land-grab in the Magic Kingdom | Jan 30, 2007 09:10

If you follow these issues, you will doubtless be familiar with the US Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, which saw the Walt Disney Company successfully lobby for a law that prevented various of its works coming out of copyright. You probably are not aware that earlier this month Disney applied to the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand for sweeping trade mark protection around works that Disney did not create.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Why bother? By now you can probably D/L Vista from Gnutella, let alone older software. But on a website you can expect Bill to send in the leg breakers in a week or two.

--
.
.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Don't know. But there is no need as it should be easy to find. A colleague handed me two different downloads as a prove when I had claimed not to believe that she could find it. (I have no use for it at the moment, but you never can tell. I will for sure have no pity on old uncle Billy whenever I'll use it.)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

"Charles Schuler" schreef in bericht news:B6WdnTgfHbjKFCPYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Remembers me on the days of yore when Big Blue was the only one that could sell "computers" and the words "floppy disk" were patented. I expect old uncle Billies Redmond firm will go the same way. There will not only be legal problems that cannot be solved with large amounts of money. Customers will "vote with their wallets" when MS continues to sell less for more. It will take some time and they will stay in the software business as their business is much better then their software but they will not keep their current monopoly forever.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

software.

Vista (final) was available at least a month ago from P2P networks. Can't imagine why one would download or even buy that crap, though.

SioL

Reply to
SioL

We checked with Alienware today (we plan to buy 6 or 7 new systems from them soon.) They'll ship systems with XP Pro installed, estimated for at least another year. Seems that a lot of corporate customers aren't ready for Vista.

I have heard that some of the chains won't sell XP-equipped machines any more.

John

Yeah, Bob was better.

--
.
.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

And if you don't want MS to push IE 7 on you, you must get and use IE7BlockerToolkit.EXE.

Actually, you must have used it a few months ago or IE 7 would already be pushed into your PCs.

--
Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

So what'll be next then? The remittance of indulgences to the Gates foundation?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

The only time I ever run IE is to do Windows patches.

John