Dell Sux. Read ON....

Hi,

I don't understand why DELL is unwilling to sell AMD64 products. Steve Felice, VP @ DELl says their is no customers demand for AMD64. Suck to be Steve. From various Linux flavors to BSD, the OS rocks on AMD64 macs. I have seen conformance test suite benhcmarks which are better on AMD64 than on f**ing Itanium.

I feel this is a ridiculous policy @ DELL not to sell AMD products. Anyone in FTC listening ?

It's just not me, Linus Trovalds blasted INTEL folks on one of his 64 bit porting groups with "F" word.

Sorry but I am frustrated by this attitude of DELL and will post this message on multiple newsgroups.

Thanks.

Reply to
codefixer

Except that their PCs are really good. I just bought two identical Dells: dual hard drives, DVD burner, P4, tons of RAM, XP and Office (ugh), about $1200 each. Plus each one came with a gorgeous huge highres LCD monitor for $100 more. The keyboard and mouse feel really nice. The mechanical and electrical packaging are beautiful. The heat pipes and cooling - three fans total, but quiet - are slick.

John

FTC? Are you nuts? Next you will want the Chevy dealer to sell Hondas. It is their RIGHT to sell whatever they want (that is legal). If everybody decides they want AMD, either Dell will change their policy or go out of business. I have a Dell at work and personally I wouldn't (and don't) have one but that is MY quirk. And I have THAT right. You can get all the AMD machines you want, just not from Dell. GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

Bad place to rant, but the fact is that Dell only does Intel. Get used to it. ...and take your business elsewhere.

--
  Keith
Reply to

PC-Club does AMD

...Jim Thompson

BS! What brand of motherboard? That's what matters.

What is your idea of "professional environment"? Secretaries pounding out Word documents ?:-)

In number crunching environments, such as circuit simulators, AMD processors run rings around Intel P4's.

...Jim Thompson

There is one good reason: Computers based on AMD processors are less reliable. More unexplainable errors, system hangups. We had several (different) AMD based systems in the office which all had strange quirks. It is not all about speed, in a professional environment (Dell's primary market) you want reliability above all.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

What *are* you saying?

Perhaps in 1991 AMD's chips were flaky... but nowadays, they're right up there with the other competitors. AthlonXP, system uptime - 18d/4h/36m - and the last reboot was voluntary. Maybe its time to upgrade from Win95?

And why would anyone here want to buy a Dell anyways? Aren't we smarter than that? It's cheaper just to roll your own. AMD all the way, baby!

Reply to
Mark Jones

No. Just pounding secrataries. Do it for cash and it's professional.

I've never heard anything bad about AMD. Intel, OTOH...

Some co I wrote code for has a Dell acct. Every time they buy a new server, they have to throw a new kybd on the pile 'cause dell can't/won't not send one and give them a discount. Kinda like PA not taking back the medicare overpayments.

And they fired the Dell Dude. "Dude, you're getting a cell!"

He should've had a Bob Barker style contract, speaking of pounding p :) Same with one of our morning weather dudes on the news but for a different reason. The old ladies had a gag order put on him because he had an upbeat personality instead of a stick up his ass like the "more professional sounding" KBs.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

That's damned good! I never got that with 9x/Intel. AFAIK, I've never *had* to reboot XP/Intel or w2k/Intel, just free some memory. I've rebooted anyway just for GP, but that's it.

Yup.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

You are probably right. When I was still in business selling & reparing PC's to earn some extra money during my study, I quickly learned to stay away from AMD based machines. Impossible to make the customer happy unless replaced by an Intel based machine. Recent experiences in the office (all AMD machine replaced) learned me that nowadays it is still the same. I have no doubt AMD can make a good CPU (altough they are closer to edge when it comes to the thermal design) but I suppose chipset manufacturors are pushing the edge too much.

Secretaries usually cost money. To keep TCO low, make sure they use the best equipment. Office staff with unreliable computer systems is very unproductive.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

See my answer to Jim. Why buy Dell or HP? I give you a good answer: Every Dell system I purchased ranging from $500 to $9000 per piece worked right out of the box and stayed rock solid, no problems with drivers. Same goes for HP (only Dell is easier to order). If you have time or want to tinker around, roll your own PC. Otherwise, buy something decent like a Dell or a HP (Compaq) based on Intel and at least 'workstation' class.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

What has been a problem, is motherboard chipsets that go along with AMD CPUs.

But I've never had instability. Just one mobo that couldn't do DMA to the HDs under Linux.

Good day!

--
_____________________
Christopher R. Carlen

Horse shit! Not likely! Even when they were competators I was impressed with their designs. My Win-machine is a K6-III, and this one is an Opteron.

....and you're still running WinBlows? If you're having any problem with an AMD system it's likely becasue you bought a crap board, like PCChips. FWIW, Intel systems aren't woth shit on shit boards either. Spent a couple of bucks and buy a better *system*.

Nonsense. If you want good, buy good. There is nothing about Dells (at least the home systems) that could remotely qualify as "good". Build it yourself, outta AMD processors. Intel has lost it.

--
  Keith
Reply to

I'll second the notion that a PC is only as good as its mainboard. I bought a cheap 486 board once to save some cash and it ran like &@$^. I have been totally pleased with my AthlonXP and SolTek SATA-RAID nVIDIA mainboard however.

They make all flavors of high-end boards. I'd highly recommend these - yes they are not the cheapest out there, but they work! :)

(BTW Mike, I meant it was time for the OP to upgrade from Win95, not myself.) :)

Reply to
Mark Jones

Do you call Asus crap?

Home systems are always crap, whatever brand you buy. I've made quite some money with replacing inferior parts in home systems. If you want to buy a home system, don't buy a home system but a workstation.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Steve

on

This has been bothering me for a few days. On the one hand, you seem to like/want a Dell computer because its a good machine. On the other hand you don't like their choice of processor since you presume to know better than the engineers who made the good machine. So which is it? You like it or don't like it? Pass the Advil, I'm getting a headache. GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

We have one of the (highly recommended at the time) Gigabyte dual-Athlon mobos, and no-one uses it because it doesn't keep running for more than two days (Windows 2000 Server or Debian Linux with a 2.6 kernel), and because with 8 fans it sounds like a jet taking off in a quiet office. I was glad when my new Dell box came, and even more glad that it has a concealed power switch - I can't hear whether it's turned on. I bought one for home as well :-).

Clifford.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I am fairly sure, from my past experience, that the engineers at Dell have no say on the matter.

Reply to
Carl D. Smith