video compression

I' know this is the wrong group for this but if you guys can point me in the right direction that would be great.

I'd like to make a device that I can plug into a USB VGA camera and create a

320 x 240 X 16 bit real time video stream at ~2Mbit/sec over a 10base-T Ethernet link. I can get the data from the USB camera and downsample it to 320x240 no problem. Establishing communication over ethernet is not an issue either.

What I'm looking for is the video compression method that can compress what would be a 74Mbit/sec video down below 2Mbits/sec so it doesn't plug up my

10Mbit/sec Ethernet link.

Quality can be like youtube.

Any ideas of a compression method and what kind of processing power I'd need to perform the compression real time.

thanks.

Reply to
mook johnson

I have thought the same thing, except....

This camera has an RS-232 interface and has a compression engine on board.

A serial to Ethernet boards are readily available.

I also have a USB print server that I would like to hack, but I have not found the details yet.

Buffalo LPV3-U2

hamilton

the

e a

So, just like every webcam in existence? There's plenty of support for that...

Reply to
whit3rd

Networked security cameras will do this in one step. As far as I know, they generate H.264/MPEG or MJPEG over HTTP that can be picked up by any software. Bandwidth, frame rate, and resolution can be set to whatever you want. They're pricey, though. A mini Linux board might be cheaper if you have the time to compile, set up, and debug the software.

Kevin McMurtrie

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On a sunny day (Sun, 05 Sep 2010 18:16:21 -0400) it happened "Michael A. Terrell" wrote in :

I have a networked security camera and the disadvantge is that those have a huge latency. Great for recording, but not so good for remotely shooting the burglar. He will be long gone when you press 'fire'. Best is to keep a trapdoor with some hungry alligators.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

the

create a

issue

what

need

It requires a permit in the US. You'll get in more trouble for having a gator, than for feeding a burglar to one. I have a bunch of NTSC cameras, monitors and a DVR for my property, now that I'm 100% disabled. I even one aimed at the mailbox by the street. It has a popup flag to let me know the mail has run. Fedex, UPS and the USPS all know to deliver packages to the rear door so I don't have to go outside in bad weather and risk a fall on wet grass.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell