Very cheap wireless

Is it possible to create a very cheap device that is either a transmitter or transceiver that works over around 50-100m in mass quantities for just a few dollars. I have a project in mind that calls for mass producing such devices but I need them real cheap. I am hoping for something on the scale of $1 or $2 in quantities of 10k or even more(upwards of millions). They would be battery powered and need very long life(1 year min). The comm rate is very slow(maybe 1 message every 5 seconds) and distance measurement would be a bonus.

Actually I would like a zigbee like protocol for such things if possible. Basically the devices would be similar in function to your car door remotes. I do believe though I will have to have a transceiver based device since a transmitter won't really cut it.

Just curious as to the potential of getting the cost down, else the project is not really worth it.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

With no specs concerning splatter, etc just take a NPN with off the shelf 1:1 or so xfmr and resistor for base bias and let it rip ("variant" of the "Joule Thief").. Modulate on/off as needed. Use some care in selecting the xfmr for total cost under $1.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Thu, 5 Nov 2009 23:19:54 -0600) it happened "Jon Slaughter" wrote in :

Yes, use a spark plug, and a Ge diode as detector. Tuned circuit is optional.

Keep it there.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje