Variable resistance

Hello Jim,

That is indeed weird. Was it ever used in civilian apps? Then there might be a higher chance of finding something at places such as universities. There had been a number of "AM radio on a chip" ICs but most have gone to lala-land. Some might still be used in local pagers or hearing wands.

But it's not unheard of. Once I had to mimic the behavior of a chip as measured on the outside but decided to do it in discretes (cheaper). This was not reverse engineering in a bad sense but it was for the owners of the design.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Yes. Good thread. I got some very useful advice.

The circuit did not go beyond the posted breadboard, but I think the required 0.1% spec in controlled resistance could have been achieved with modest changes.

In fact I took the brute force route.... there was already a computer, IEEE bus and precision DVM there, so did a 0-10mA voltage-controlled current sink, and 'closed the loop' via a small computer prog.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to