Effect of the supply internal resistance

I'm looking at voltage dividers. Trying to learn what I probably knew one time.

Say you have a battery supplying 10v, and it has in internal resistance of 1 Ohm.

You connect it to a voltage divider network R1 and R2. R1 is 90 Ohms in series with R2 which is 10 Ohms.

Vcc connects to one end of R1, Ground connects to one end of R2.

No load on the tappinp point.

There is 10V from tap to GND. There is 90V to Vcc.

Okay I get this. But the battery connects between Vcc and GND and that has in internal resistance of 1 Ohm.

This makes it look like R1 and R2 are also connected together not only at the tap point, but at their other ends.

Which of course produces a kind of obserdity because that makes irt look like there is the same voltage across both R1 and R2.

Of course, as far as the battey is concerned, it's 10V across it does not short through it's own 1 ohm internal resistance.

But anyway, when is that 1 Ohm internal resaistance going to be significant in any way? I know there will be a voltage drop across it when current flows and the battery terminal voltage will drop.

But why exactly to you pretty much ignore that internal resistance when calculating voltages in a two resistor divider network?

But I think in times past for some reason, because of low internal resistance of the supply, Vcc and GND have been taken in some way as being connected. I've forgotten now what that was.

Reply to
Rich

1V & 9V. :c)
Reply to
Rich

Rich, The battery's internal resistance is in series with its ideal voltage. The internal resistance is always part of the circuit. If the load resistance is much larger than the internal resistance then it won't matter much, if not , its another resistor in your circuit. Draw the circuit being fed with your supply voltage and a resistor in series.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

--
Only when there\'s a load on the battery.
Reply to

| V out |----------------------|------------------- | | | | | | R2 R1 | | | | |--------B-------- I R ------------------| X Y

B= ideal battery with zero internal resistance.

Lets say the battery voltage is 10.1V open circuit.

1 Ohm Internal Resistence (I R). R1 = 90 Ohms, R2 = 10 Ohms.

0.1 A of current flows.

10V between X and Y.

9V across R1. 1V across R2.

0.1V across I R. (V = 1A * 0.1 Ohm = 0.1 V.)

Wait, there is 10V across X and Y, yet if B represents an ideal battery with zero resistance, there should be 10V across I R!

Reply to
Rich

The current is 0.1A a. So, using V= I * R voltage across I R is, 0.1A * 1 Ohm = 1V.

I know that the actual voltage across I R *is* 0.1V

But looking it another way there is supposed to be 10V across X and Y. Which is effectively 10V across I R.

Reply to
Rich

Which

No, there's still 10V across the ideal battery. You can't ignore that when figuring your voltage drops between X and Y.

Reply to
Greg Neill

I think I've figured it.

Youve got to draw a center line down the circuit.

!
!

Looking at the above circuit, because B is ideal battery and zero resistance, it looks like R1 and R2 are practically in parallel because I R (Internal resistance), is 1 Ohm.

But you must look at the left hand side of IR and then the right hand side.

Add up the voltageson either side and see what IR sees (Z & Y).

| V out |------------------- | - | | R1 9V | | + I R ------------------| Y

| V out |-------------------- | + | | R2 1V | - | |--------B-------- I R X - + Z 10.1 V

We see that there are two voltages as far as I R is concerned. And they are opposing each other.

On the right, I R sees + 9V

On the left, I R sees 10.1V - 1V = 9.1V.

So, there is *not* 10V across I R. There is 9.1V - 9V = 0.1V

So, there is 0.1V across X and Y. There is 1 Ohm between these points. Yet

*because of battery B* you cannot say that R1 and R2 are practically in parallel. Despite the low impedance of the suply source.

And I think this sort of stuff is going to explain Op Amps.

Reply to
Rich

In fact there is something special about point Vout here. It's like a reference point. Like a ground.

Reply to
Rich

Here is the way I learned to draw circuits: And simplify them in College:

R(int)=1 ohm |--/\\/\\/\\----------- +| | --- | | B | \\ |10v| R1 / 90 ohm |___| \\ | / -| |_____________ V(out) | | | \\ /\\ | / | | R2 \\ 10 ohm | | / | | | \\/ |__________________|____________ 0 volts

V(out) = (output / input) * V(source)

output is I * R2 Input is I *[(int) + R1 + R2]

then V(out) = (10 ohms / 101 ohms) * 10 volts v(out) = 0.9901 volts

Your equivelent source impeadance will be R2 parallel [R1 + R(int)]

R eq = product / sum = 10 ohms * 91 ohms / (101 ohms) = 9.01 ohms

There: at V(out) the voltage will be 0.9901 volts with an equivelent source resistance of 9.01 ohms

Shaun

Reply to
Ned

--
Read this:

sa3ro4l4ddcsv1c6mfdd6vv2tgmrpeadh7@4ax.com

JF
Reply to
John Fields

That's some wierd email address, and if I click it, Outlook express pops up.

link didn't work

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

I'm slightly wong.

There is a point along the circuit where positive meets negative.

Going one way is like going into negative, going the other way like being into positive. Of course anywhere along the circuit one part can be considered more positive, or negative relative to another.

In the circuit above the center point, which is kind of a reference point is within R1. It's 40.5 Ohms into R1 on one side. Other side is 40.5 Ohms. Adding resistances from the center point either way adds up to 50.5 Ohms, so total is 101 Ohms. True center point, which I suppose is a reference point is total resistance divided by 2.

So, in my circuit Vout, is not the center point.

And the voltage across I R is + 5.05V on one side, + 4.95V on the other, so there is 0.1V across I R (internal resistance of battery).

Yet between point X and Y, you would measure 10V, and for a moment it looks there is 10V across I R, without closer analysis.

Reply to
Rich

40.5 Ohms and 49.5 Ohms.
Reply to
Rich

The supply internal resistance will give you a voltage drop, lowering the source voltage available at the battery that depends on the current you voltage divider and load require. V(battery) = V(10 volts) - I * R(internal). I is the total circuit current with your voltage divider and whatever is connected to it. V(10 volts) is your open circuit voltage.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

--
What a surprise!

It\'s a USENET message ID, not an email address...

JF
Reply to
John Fields

No, you're considerably wrong, and/or trying very hard to confuse yourself (and the rest of us, too), and succeeding.

No, you are forgetting the voltage source within the battery - it provides 10.1 volts, and there will be 0.1 volts (in the opposite polarity) across the internal resistance, to give 10.0 volts between X and Y.

Let me steal the drawing that John Fields made in another post:

+---------+--E1 | | [1R] [90R] R1 | | +--Ebat +--E2 |+ | [BAT] [10R] R2 | | +---------+ | GND

I have added a "Ground" label so that we have a reference point to measure voltages against. You are confusing things by adding your "center point", rather than selecting a connection point as the zero volt reference.

In electronics, "Ground" might better be called "Common", or "Reference point" - it is the point in the circuit that the designer has decided to call "Zero Volts". In the above circuit, it is the negative terminal of the battery.

Assume that the unloaded battery voltage Ebat is 10.1 volts.

The total circuit resistance including the battery's internal resistance is 101 ohms. This means that the current in the circuit will be 0.1 amp, giving 0.1 volt across the battery's internal resistance, so the voltage across the battery terminals (between GND and E1) is 10.0 volts. There will be 9 volts across R1, and 1 volt across R2.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

NO! NO! NO!

You have the battery and R(internal), This is your source. Then you have your voltage divider and you want the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor. See Neds description of how to work out the circuit, it is the proper method that is taught in schools and books. You don't use an imaginary reference point, you're over complicating the circuit, the only reference point to use is battery neg (common).

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

One think I'm shaky about is this concept of reference and ground. Especially when I try to grasp Op Amps.

Of course, I know that there is 0.1V across 1R (the internal resistance) not

10 Volts.

10.1 Volts at Ebat is referenced to ground. We can draw 1R as connected to that point. Of course that one side of 1R is 10.1V above ground is not that significant, if it is above ground is a fact that does not assist with the understanding of how to calculate the voltage across 1R.

What is significant is the voltage across 1R. In fact what is significant is what 1R sees as being it's source.The following circuit shows what that there across the interal resistance of the battery. It's usefullness is in showing more clearly how only 0.1V PD apears across 1R. It ignores any kind of reference point to ground, although in practice you may need to know the voltage across 1R and ground.

Reply to
Rich

BAT is suppossed to be a device with zero resistance. So, you can erroniously conclude there is 10V across 1R, thinking one part of 1R is at ground. The voltage stated is a voltage *reference to ground*. One end of 1R is + 10V above ground or the negative terminal that's for sure. But in fact the other side of 1R is *not* connected to ground at all through a zero resistance, so there is not + 10V across R1. This shows how careful one must be when associating a zero resaistance value to some ideal component. I must be careful in doing that.

Reply to
Rich