VANECK BOX

Anyone know where I can get schematics or plans for building a VANECK box? Or, obtain one already built?

Reply to
nospam

VANECK box?

Closest thing I could find is a Van Earl Wright box-sorry.....

Reply to
Rick

Basically, it's a wide band VHF AM receiver with a adjustable sync generator to create horizontal and vertical sync signals that match the target display.

They're very close to mythical bullshit. The FCC revised the interference regulations back in 1983. You can't sell a computer or terminal that would wipe out TV for a block, like you could before that.

Remember that the Van Eck article dated from 30 YEARS AGO. Back then, a display was running at close to television scan rates, with a bandwidth of 10-15 mega-pixels per second. Video amplifiers were not on the socket at the back of the neck of the CRT, so you had this nice wire acting as an antenna for a signal running 10s of volts. In a plastic case.

Compare that with now, where the display controller is spitting out around a 100 million pixels a second into impedance controlled cables with everything shielded in some way or other.

Back then, a TV tuned to a low VHF channel could image the offending display. Now, there's a whole lot less signal, at a higher frequency (determined by the rise time of the signals), with a much wider bandwidth.

I'd read that some of the better made displays even pass the "Tempest" high security radiation limits with no extra shielding. These days, If you're close enough to "read" the targeted display, you might as well do a black bag job and bug the target/victim.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier