Useless UK component distributors

RS stopped doing that years ago.

Re Farnell, I found that loads of stuff wasn't in stock. They did a tieup with some US company and any of the parts thus sourced triggered a GBP 15 delivery charge.

So I use RS for common stuff, and mouser.com for more unusual stuff.

But for production one has to use the big firms, to get decent pricing. And it was those which my original post was about. If you want to confuse the hell out of them, just ask for a price for 100k

0.05 1% 22k resistors. If they are not completely stupid they will find one from AVX which costs 2.2p when they also sell one from somebody else which costs 0.1p but they didn't know about it.

I think Avnet UK fired their engineers about 3 years ago. There is nobody there now who can recognise component descriptions.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote

Reply to
Peter

You've got to check the stock levels when you are ordering. If the stuff has to come from Newark in the US the component entry will tell you, and warn you about the extra charge.

I ran into that a couple of times last year when I was ordering stuff from them. The only trouble I had with them then was when somebody had dumped a bunch of ten-pin formers into the 12-pin former bin, and they sorted that out pretty quickly.

Your choice.

Or don't want to know about it. Mind you, anybody who hasn't bothered to specify whether their resistors need to be metal film, metal oxide, carbon film, carbon composition or whatever probably isn't in any position to complain.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Farnell *bought* (maybe merged with) Newark, over 10 years ago. The delivery (shipping) charge applies in the reverse direction, too. US customers of Newark pay shipping on "UK stock". One charge per order, not per item.

Air freight costs lots of money. Around Europe, they can use trucks.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

You can use trucks in the US, but we call them lorries in the UK. :-)

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:44:22 -0700) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

The peculiar thing is, I ordered a pair of sunglasses from Hong Kong China, for 1$99. It arrived 8 days later. Free shipping. Ebay item 390547567108

And many more 'free shipping' items, some delivered by a big truck by the postman here... late at night... ??? LOL

I have heard China pays the postage, but you gotta make a profit somewhere to keep doing that..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan Panteltje wrote

That would have been airmail.

Airmail is quite cheap but a lot of companies are too stupid to do anything sophisticated like using the local post office service. They just like to chuck the package on the FEDEX pile and have it collected.

Hence we get delivery charges like $20 on a little item.

America is very bad for this. 99% of companies will not touch airmail and speaking to them, most of them have never heard of it. I once paid $200 shipping for a little coax adaptor because the firm could not be bothered to work out "international" (hey!) shipping so they use an "international fulfilment agency" to do it.

Reply to
Peter

On a sunny day (Sat, 24 Aug 2013 11:14:00 +0100) it happened Peter wrote in :

I had some of these, 1$80 also free shipping. to connect my ebay yagi to a Dlink router..

Locally they are more expensive, and fuel to go pick one up would be more.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Robert Baer wrote:

Stolen?

Reply to
Greegor

Since 99% or more of their business uses their normal shipping methods, it costs them time and money to do it another way. For instance. MCM, in Dayton, Ohio used to have a whole row of UPS tractor trailers lined up at their docks. Other shippers would send a smaller, delivery truck to pick things up. They would have had to send an employee to the post office to send that single package by USPS airmail.

Those Chinese Ebay sellers use fulfillment centers to reduce shipping costs. See what they would want for a shipment by Fedex, UPS or other method. I bought a Arduino Mega 2560 from a Chinese dealer on Ebay, the purchase was fulfilled by Amazon and shipped within the US.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell