USB shield at device.

I do all sorts of stuff. NMR. Laser drivers. Picosecond timing. Thermocouple and LVDT and synchro simulation. Aircraft engine thingies. Submarine thingies. Arbs. Secret stuff. Not much of that is boring.

But I never break cable shields. I've never seen a case where it was a good idea.

Of course, USB *is* boring. So is audio.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I just mean people use things other than consoles as inputs a lot these days, since a nice console can run mid six figures.

Yes. I replicated them. Cable run from output to input, 1 KHz tone.

To an extent. Anything below -96dB is moot.

Ideally, yes.... some of the Jensens test linear out past 20Khz, but they'll still react to transients.

My point is that there is relative audiphoolery where people buy stuff

*because* it has transformers. There are people who sell to them.

Some of this isn't so phoolish.

The builders do that too.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

I thought you just said that USB was all that was important.

You've led a protected life.

If you say so. Who would argue with you?

Reply to
krw

Spoken by someone without a clue. The need for audio amplification spurred electronics. It is Analog, which you need for the digital crap you play with.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Anyone with real world experience.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I didn't say that. That would be silly.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

No more silly than your other statements.

Reply to
krw

In other words, no more silly than the other things that I never said.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You don't read very well.

Reply to
krw

But I have an ohmmeter, and tested all the USB devices that I have handy, and all of them ground everything.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If this is a three phase system with lots of electronics (rectifier) loads without PFC, there have been incidents, in which the neutral conductor have been burned due to third harmonics of the load.

While in a three phase the fundamental currents from each phase cancel more or less, the third harmonic current add up into the neutral conductor. For modern three phase cables, the neutral conductor derating is not so common.

Reply to
upsidedown

Yes, and this will always be the case. Stupid people will do stupid things. The blanket "same size" rule doesn't apply above a certain point, though. Intelligence is supposed to rule above that.

Certainly it is. Do you see a neutral on transmission towers?

Reply to
krw

As I said, you don't read very well.

Reply to
krw

What is the FCC ID number for this transmitter? Where is it installed? What is the duty cycle? A bunch of Broadcast Engineers want to know the details, on a transmitter group.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I had to read this several times, before I started to guess what you are saying.

Apparently a "transmission tower" is not a mast sending out RF energy but just an ordinary HV pylon.

At high power low voltage industrial feeds, 400 or 690 V delta (Europe) or US 480 V delta are used to feed big motors.

In HV distribution, delta connection is often used, so you do not have a neutral at all.

Reply to
upsidedown

You are deep into whiney, content-free, old-hen mode.

The thread is about grounding cable shields on USB devices. I answered it.

Do you have a DVM? Verify the grounding scheme on a few commercial USB devices, and get back to us. Check connector shell vs pin4 vs power ground vs case ground if available.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Part 18 compliant. Near field only. Under 400kHz. Very high SWR tolerance. Frequency agile. Continuous duty (well, if it didn't overheat -- when I left, the MEs were still figuring out the enclosure and bus designs).

I don't think any were installed in customer locations, which is a shame because the electronics were pretty good. But that project suffered from executive incompetence beyond my control.

Oddly, for working literally one block away from the airport, we never got calls about EMI. I can personally testify that *none* of the industrial power electronics used come with EMI filters (we put one in this design, at least).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

No, it's just that you refuse to talk about what everyone else is talking about. You don't even acknowledge content so why add any?

No, it's not. If you could read, you'd see that there is far more going on in this thread than USB.

Again, you're incapable of reading.

Reply to
krw

Whiney old hen. Say something about electronics.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

So, this is an induction heater?