Mini USB cable with all 5 pins + shield = 6 wires?

Due to a PCB "oops" in an embedded project, I'm wondering if anyone knows where to buy mini-usb cables with all 5 pins plus the connector shield wired through.

I saw some indication that a motorola bar code scanner might have used the connector for RS232 and used all the wires, but am not doing well on sourcing those cables.

Reply to
cs_posting

The most common 5 pin mini is the USB-AM to MINI-5P if you are talking about something like this, then there are only 4 wires plus the shield at the USB-AM end.

Or do you mean MINI-5P to MINI-5P? I think you may need to get them manufactured to suit. What quantity are you talking?

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Yes, and unfortunately the 4 wires connected in that cable are not the same four as got used on our PCB. USB usage skips the 4th pin in from the end and then uses the 5th. This is not a USB application, so it would probably need to be a cable intended for some other non-usb or more-than-usb custom application.

Right now, a half dozen to cut the other end off of and use in the lab. Production quantities are somebody else's headache. It wasn't my idea in the first place.

Reply to
cs_posting

Why not use the available cable and white wire your proto boards? Are you trying to avoid a respin of the board?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

snip

If I understand the problem isn't the easy fix as simple as adding a little solder to pin4 so that is shorts with pin5?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

And ungrounding pin 5...

...and cutting the overmold off the connector, threading some copper braid over the cable, and soldering it to the shell.

Reply to
cs_posting

ok, I see what you mean :)

how about just the connector and solder the cable yourself? e.g. H2955-ND from digikey

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

May go with that at some point... except for the little "quantity available: 0"

I think I'm glad this part of the problem isn't actually mine to deal with.

Reply to
cs_posting