Updated usa_pic

Added a baudrate selector, nice 10 position binary coded switch from ebay. Also added the DTR signal (as always +) so it can interface to the gadgets I have that use DTR for power.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Microchip has serial EEproms with a preprogrammed MAC address. Great idea for short runs.

Martin Riddle

On a sunny day (Sat, 21 May 2011 17:03:21 -0400) it happened "Martin Riddle" wrote in :

You miss the point here. This is a serial to UDP converter and vice versa. You can move it from one RS232 piece of equipment to the other, to control that remotely (around the world if must be) via UDP. Because it is 'what goes in (on ethernet side) comes out (on RS232 side with baudrate X), and what goes in (at RS232 side with baudrate X) comes out at ethernet side with UDP', there is no way you can 'software set' the baudrate from the RS232 side, as that would make it vulnerable to some data accidently changing the baudrate, problematic if it is in Mexico and you are in Europe (practical experience with that there here), and same via UDP. It MUST be a hardware switch, set when connected to the RS232 equipment. Same for setting via UDP, one could assign a special port, but then any hacker or wild packet could change baudrate, and you would never know if simply no data or a defective unit.

Actually I discovered a bug in the latest software last night, if streaming more then a max packet size it seems to lose characters (both ways). This did work OK, I sometimes write several hundred lines of asm before I re-program anything, and I do remember I wondered 'how did I do that?', must have remembered wrong ;) I am gonna leave the bug in for a while, as it has no effect on controlling my equipment, as those use shorter command sequences, and UDP is not guaranteed anyway to deliver anything. But I am wondering where I screwed up:-) Been through that code in my mind now 10 times or more. Will have to look at that listing. At least it HAS a bug in it, dont not want to challenge J.L. :-)

It is art:

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 May 2011 09:03:30 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Sorry, my apologioes for that other reply. Sunday morning, yes you are right, I was not reading it seems. Maybe I should not design anything today:-) But there is a challenge doing it with a mind still in dreamland,. I like some challenges :-)

Anyways I started MAC with 1,2,3,4,5,6 , then changed the last one to 7 for the next project, just will number them up for now. The MAC is only important on the LAN I think.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes, for ARP. But there's no reason that it wouldn't work on a LAN. Perhaps you could add IP6

Martin Riddle