More PIC fun

I have made some webpages with all scripts and software and hardware diagrams for this project:

Jan Panteltje

for this project:

Please try to make the circuit diagram more readable. More light!

What sort of camera you using? You should be able to stand back a bit, zoom in to fill the frame, use the flash, adjust exposure down a little if too bright. Even with a little P&S cam you could get a better image. A few tries and your pencil circuits would be a lot clearer :)

I hope to get S6B0107 based JHD19264 192x64 graphics module going one day soonish, then I'll take a closer look at what you've done there.

Little 'i' has an extra pixel, looks like 'l'?

Did you have to make your own character generator lookup table?

Grant.

--
http://bugs.id.au/
Reply to

On a sunny day (Sat, 12 Jun 2010 07:24:07 +1000) it happened Grant wrote in :

for this project:

Ah, yes.... but I want to leave something to the users.... All that pre-made stuff...

I think the right way is to run it throug an image processor, and slice it at some grey level, play with gamma. even better is to do it in xcircuit, or maybe LTspice. I have ordners full of A4 pieces of paper with diagrams like this, some very complicated.

OK.

The top picture in that link uses my character generator, an character set. That character set is very nice, look at this:

The picture below that uses the ImageMagick 'convert' utility to add text to the Linux 'rclock' program.

That last thing does not render characters very well with this small font 'Bookman-Demi -pointsize 9', so it suffers from aliasing. Also I had to set some slice level to get reasonable characters when converting the ImageMagick .ppm output to 128x64 bitmap. Just toying around with it. As you can see there from the pics of the LCD tehre is nothing wrong with the camera.

Did that in the eighties, and still using this one :-). Added some German characters over time, as a choice, and the Viditel / ceefax / videotext semi graphics as in the picture link above.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 12 Jun 2010 07:24:07 +1000) it happened Grant wrote in :

for this project:

Actually that sort of remark triggers something in me. Of course *my software* is perfect (as J.L. will agree). So I explained last night that the problem is with the ImageMagick package font aliasing. To prove that, and show what this thing can do, here some screen shots with ImageMagick removed from the script.

In this I use the Linux 'rclock' as a 'loupe', magnifying glass. It grabs a 128x64 pixel image (of my 1680 x 1050 screen). A very simple trick makes that possible: I put rclock with the rodent^H^H^H^H^H^H mouse where I want to grab the screen, then push it in the background (right mouse button in fvwm). Then the script with my soft no longer grabs rclock, but whatever is in front of it: The full screen, with rclock in front, with the smallest readable font selected in the xterm:

Then I push rclock into the back, and the LCD then shows this:
I think that is very good to begin with.

But it gets more fun, as it is graphics, I just put rclock over the icons in the GUI: Mahjong:

Kmidi:
Some camera:
Seyon:
Eagle:

But there is more, if you do it on the browser, from

You can also grab a color picture that way, I am limited by copyright here...

I will remove this shortly, just as demo...

Anyways, all this with the small hack 'ppm2lcd.c' , you find here:

This is the /usr/local/sbin/update_lcd_loupe script that I used to grab those LCD images:

killall -KILL rclock

# LCD cls echo -e "\f" > /dev/ttyS0 echo -e "\f" > /dev/ttyS0

rclock -geometry 128x64 &

#window_id=ininfo -name "$(date +'%a %b %d')" | awk '/xwininfo/{print $4}' while [ 1 ] do # baudrate to 115200 /bin/stty -F /dev/ttyS0 115200 # no echo /bin/stty -F /dev/ttyS0 -echo # 2 stop bits /bin/stty -F /dev/ttyS0 cstopb # report new baudrate #/bin/stty -F /dev/ttyS0 -a window_id=ininfo -name "$(date +'%a %b %d')" | awk '/xwininfo/{print $4}' import -silent -window $window_id /tmp/lcd_clock.ppm convert /tmp/lcd_clock.ppm /tmp/q1.ppm ppm2lcd /tmp/q1.ppm 3 1>/dev/ttyS0 sleep 6 done

And of course you need scope_pic:

and that will give you an almost free storage scope with FFT on top of that.

It is easy!

BTW the camera is a Canon A470, I shoot the LCD pictures on a tripod with a 2 second timer on super macro without flash. Lighting is 2 30 W fluorescent tubes overhead, plus some sunlight from a window from the side.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

[...]

from the side.

They're very good photos. That's why it surprised me, that lack of contrast for the pencil drawings.

I have an A480 in the box, but at the moment using A580 which has similar capability. I bought A580 thinking it would be like A590 without the IS function, but it doesn't have any of the manual control that the A590 had.

These days it seems I only grab the Nikon D70s when there's trouble getting exposure right with the P&S, or need brighter flash. I don't have a closeup lens for it yet. Can't afford new, and ebay is crazy on camera gear pricing.

Grant.

--
http://bugs.id.au/
Reply to