A first idea for a super simple RS232 temperature probe with the temp PIC

A first idea for a super simple RS232 temperature probe with the temp PIC: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/PIC_RS232_temperature_probe_img_1439.jpg

The PIC is powered from DTR and RTS, both normally +. It will send the temp like this at 9600 Baud 1 start bit, 8 data bits and 1 stop bit:

27°C 28°C 28°C 28°C 29°C 29°C 29°C 29°C 29°C

etc.. Holding my finger on it :-)

This is nice if you want to monitor some heatsink while testing. That way you can log temps too :-)

I am dedicating a web page to that temp-PIC, the source code is there too:

This diagram will be there once I build it (do not hold your breath). It should also work with RS232 to USB adaptors (just measured about 6.8 volts from these), and with my terminal program ptlrc in Linux:

Note: In this diagram pins 8,7,6 of the PIC go to ground, not very clear here.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

But we need too see a nice stable temperature bath with good thermal contact and a known temperature.

Stick it in your mouth, under your tongue for a bit. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

On a sunny day (Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:48:09 GMT) it happened Jon Kirwan wrote in :

It is called 'room temperature'. That was the starting point.

I'd prefer something sweet.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Rectal temperature is proably more accurate, and you can still enjoy your beer while making the measurement. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes. Whatever happened to that daring experimental spirit of yesteryear, eh? (Must've gone off to their Darwin awards. :)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Reminds me of a story. At one of my formers employers they did tests with people in cold or warm rooms. To keep the test subject within safe range the test person got a rectal temperature probe (long lead with a small encapsuled NTC on one end and a 6.3mm / .25" jack plug) which they had to insert themselves. One day one of the test persons managed to insert the wrong end...

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

LOL! Did the company provied some K-Y or Vaseline? ;-)

You should submit this to Scott Adams's "Tales of induhviduals".

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

blonde?

Reply to
who where

Unionist? ;-)

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Even worse: A blonde democrat.

Michael A. Terrell

Jon Kirwan a écrit :

and with rectal then mouth measurement you can make for two points calibration...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Well, not much temperature span there. So perhaps an ice-water enema for one of the cal points. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan