Can a power signal generator be modified to a high frequency power supply ?

I need a power supply with the frequency range from several Hzs to

1MHz, but no such power supply is available, I'm thinking to use the broad frequncy range of a power signal generator (e.g. 10Hz~1MHz), to drive a Helmholtz Coil, to excite a high frequency magnetic field.

Is it possible ? Anbody know how to modify it to realize that? Or is it impossible ?

Thanks

Reply to
wang

Another winner from http:/ /groups.google.com

What voltage, power, efficiency, and how much distortion can you tolerate? You might want to know the resonant frequency of the coils you want to drive too, since that would affect the design if they are close or below 1 MHZ.

What you want already exists, they are called linear amplifiers you put one on the output of the signal generator to bring the power up.

Some audio amplifiers can reach beyond 1 MHZ - they usually incorporate some form of "frequency roll off" to limit the frequency response to audio.

10 HZ is no problem to a DC coupled amp.

The amp and output stage parts may have no problem reaching 1 MHZ but the layout of the circuit boards is often the limiting factor - at higher frequencies it is easy to get capacitive feedback from output to input and the circuit is unstable and oscillates. Built with an eye towards maximizing bandwidth - shielding and/or neutralizing and there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Human hearing doesn't go beyond 20 KHZ and to keep the amp compact and cost down, there's no reason to build audio amps to go beyond 100 KHZ or so. Audio amps are used to provide the gradient fields for MRI machines.

default

News==----

Newsgroups

Don't forget that you will need a $25,000 screen room for your tests if you are not going to violate FCC regs.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

You're willing to pay somebody 25 thousand bucks to staple a bunch of window screen to your lab walls?

I'll do it for 20K, if you buy the plane ticket, rent me a car, and get me a room; also you'll buy the screen and staple gun and ground strap and provide a proper low-impedance ground. - that should be less than 5 grand, so you're getting quite the deal! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise