Tube vs. Solid State Preamp

I have hunted down Radio Moscow from several tube guitar amplifiers. There was a large number of short and medium wave transmitters in the megawatt class across the border.

Apparently the pick-up coil inductance and the cable stray capacitance formed a parallel resonant circuit that happened to resonate on one of the numerous high power transmitter. Often a quick fix was to use a different cable with different length, which apparently moved the resonance to a quilter place :-). Adding a resistor and capacitor to the input jack usually solved the problems completely.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Probably not the tube doing the rectification, though. Usually a corroded wire/contact in a mic was the culprit.

Reply to
krw

Well, in Europe propaganda stations from behind the former iron curtain were huge in terms of power. Megawatts. In Germany the problem was Radio Tirana. It was sad, they were blowing money on propaganda and electricity while their people were barely scraping by and often didn't have enough electricity. But that's what such political "systems" ultimately do to people.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

essage

hat

are

..

sistor

ack are

k are

he

valve

gives

n they

her

bad

fects. If

because

y.

it for

odd

play any

s(almost

you play

al but

ve

and a

l still

s the

range

tort

e problem

cal

a more

nds down

more).

bes are

rlds.

te. When

ose to

utputs

requires

an an

fies

ing

ne

s.

Your a man "kid" after my own heart ;o)

Chris

Reply to
Chris

"TIMM"s, i think.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Depending on the sermon topic and the nature of that police call it could be a fitting reminder of the consequences of sin :-)

But FM rarely gets in. AM radio from low flying aircraft is another matter. Ham radio as well but since they use SSB most of the time that will sound more like Charlie Brown's teacher ... wah-wa-waah ... ouuah-wah-wah-waaah.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No, it was usually on an unused mic input, where someone forgot to screw the shorting cap back on. That was one of the reasons that Switchcraft developed the shorting version of their 2501 series chassis mount connector.

Michael A. Terrell

You really need to move to a better neighbourhood. BTW a Finnish friend of my daughter's (the friend lives in Olu--they met at school in France) says that during the Winter War, the Finnish government essentially put the whole adult population on methamphetamine to increase production, and then cut off the supply cold turkey when the war was over.

Is that so?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

For communion do you serve coffee and doughnuts? ;-)

FM wouldn't be as obvious. Wouldn't FM just put a DC bias on the mic circuit?

Reply to
krw

The problems (with phones, too) I've found were lousy connections.

Reply to
krw

No, those are for _after_ worship services, even for deputy sheriffs in attendance :-)

Yes, that's why I don't quite understand how police radio could have gotten in there unless it was through a wireless mike link.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

circuit?

How many wireless mikes did you see in small churches in the '50s trough the '70s?

Any AM detector can demodulate FM via 'Slope Detection'.

Michael A. Terrell

Early tube audio amps were high impedance and unbalanced inputs, which made them easy to disturb. Kind of like Phil or dimbulb.

Michael A. Terrell

Welcome to America :-( ...Jim Thompson

circuit?

You hadn't said 70's but I did see wireless mikes back then. Here I must confess that I rarely went to church in those days. But we used them at school events, at the town hall, and so on. Once as a kid I was a helper during some council meeting ballot. They handed me a wireless mike to announce results. I felt real important when they gave me that thing :-)

... _if_ there is a rather steep filter in front of it. That would have to be a real coincidence.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

corroded

circuit?

The input is unbalanced, and not dressed for RF, so it will do slope detection. I used to put a ferrite bead and a 100 pf capacitor in old amps to make a low pass filter to keep all the RF from the usual triode input stage. A lot of the old amps ran the preamp at full gain, with the gain control after the triode. Some nasty designs, lifted right out of the RCA, GE and Sylvania tube handbooks. A 5W VHF or UHF commercial radio would knock some of them out of service at a quarter mile.

Michael A. Terrell

If it was that long ago they were probably AM police radios.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I wasn't alive in the '30s.

Michael A. Terrell

Pervitin was administrated to ski/foot patrols operating behind enemy lines

in the Winter and Continuation war, typically a week at a time. Pervitin was also administered to ordinary ground troops during the massive Russian assault in 1944.

I have never heard of any wide spread use of Pervitin by civilians.

A massive use of Pervitin would have created a large post war drug problem, however, immediately after the war, the most addicts were due to morphine, which was available without descriptions in the 1920-30's and the use in military hospitals during the wars.

BTW, the city is Oulu (not Olu) at 65N at the Bay of Bothnia.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

At school, the school radio station gets into everything. Part of this is because the antenna is on top of the dorms, and who knows, maybe they don't have it tuned very well and it's putting out some AM as it is. But I've been told it's more likely due to multipath, e.g. by reflecting off the building across the street.

I installed ferrite beads and ceramic caps. My stereo is now quieter than anyone else's at the school.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams