Tube vs. Solid State Preamp

Same here. When doing layout checks I listen to these:

But when I was young and wild, different story :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On my Roku line-up, talk radio, plus old time rock 'n' roll, some jazz, and some classical...

Fox News Talk KFYI 550 AM Phoenix, AZ BBC World Service News KOOL 94.5 FM Phoenix, AZ WTIC 96.5 FM Hartford, CT WOGL 98.1 FM Philadelphia, PA WNEW 102.7 FM New York, NY WOMC 104.3 FM Detroit, MI Melbourne (Oz) Rock 'n' Roll Classic Gold Rock 'n' Roll (NL) WKSU 3 89.7 FM Kent, OH (Classical) HPR1: The Classic Country Channel Radio Paradise (AAC+ 64k) KFOG 104.5 FM San Francisco, CA KPCC 89.3 FM Pasadena, CA Absolute Radio (MP3 128k) Smoothjazz.com (MP3 128k) SmoothLounge.com (MP3 128k) ...Jim Thompson

I think I found your problem.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

Most amplifiers are not meant to distort. Distortion is generally a bad thing in 99% of applications excluding intentional use for audio effects. If a solid state amplifier is distorting and not suppose to then it is because the circuit was designed improperly or it is not being used properly.

A tube circuit can never beat a properly designed solid state circuit for distortion free sound. For audio, this is not necessarily good as I mentioned in my original reply.

A tube amp emphases the even harmonics which are octaves of the fundamental(except for one 5th and up to the 8th harmonic). The odd harmonics emphasize a dom7th chord sonority which means that if you play any chords you are effectively playing a collection of dom7th sonorities(almost anyways). This means the distortion will sound harsh no matter what you play as there will be a great amount of dissonance created. Good for metal but not for a warm sound.

Again, in a properly designed solid state amplifier one will not have distortion(well, the THD will be extremely low to effectively be 0) and a tube amp will always have a higher THD(but designed properly it will still be low). The problem with tube amps is that in most basic amplifiers the load line vs the plate characteristics are non-linear over a large range which will introduce a compressive effect which creates distortion. Transistors have a similar effect but much more linear.

People generally prefer tubes because when they do distort they distort "nicely". Again, the point is, in a properly designed system where distortion is meant to be minimized you cannot beat solid state. The problem is that a SS amp may do it's job too well resulting in a dry unmusical sound. The tube amp will color the sound in a good way resulting in a more musically pleasing experience.

If you neglect the musical aspects of amplification SS amp's win hands down in every aspect except possibly power handling(but not so much any more). Again, it depends on the specifics but this is the general case. Tubes are generally better for musical applications in most cases.

The good thing is, we can use both types to get the best of both worlds. When we require absolute accuracy in amplification we use solid state. When we want the musical effect we use tubes. We might, for example, choose to use solid state amplification for a mixing desk's inputs and it's outputs are tube based. Or simply have one final tube for the output(PA or whatever), which offers less control over the individual tracks but requires far less tubes.

An analogy is incandescent and LED's. In fact, this is much more than an analogy as they both operate from the same physics.

Reply to
George Jefferson

Ah, precision distortion.

Reply to
krw

Don't know about the 12AU7 but the 7788 or in civilian E810F could get to around 1nv/rtHz when rigged as a triode (it wants to be a pentode in normal life).

I wish Sovtek, Svetlana or one of those companies would make it. In an environment where a big zap to an input is sort of normal these are really useful. Even a real zinger with a blue flash inside the glass and an audible pop typically leaves a tube unfazed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

We've sort of shot ourselves in the foot with our desire to get everything on a single chip...

I'm often puzzled why a hybrid... tubes plus transistors... wouldn't be the nicest solution. I've actually made a very HV transistor by using a tube with a grounded grid and an NPN in the cathode path.

Size? Ever see a Nuvistor ?:-)

And I can't remember what they were called... a stack of ceramic spacers and metal grids... really small. One jokester had the "heater" from a blowtorch ;-) ...Jim Thompson

In an electrical guitar, the amplifier and loudspeaker are parts of the instrument. These amplifiers and loudspeakers are processing a low number of simultaneous frequencies, the harmonic distortion makes the sound "richer" and the few intermodulation products often fall on frequencies in the music scale that do not sound bad.

The solo guitar and the bass guitar require different kind of equipment, the vocals require their own kind of systems and so on.

This may be OK for a house band, but moving around a lot of heavy equipment is going to be a logistic nightmare for a large band.

For high power sound reinforcement systems, the amplifiers and loudspeakers are not divided according to instruments but rather according to frequency bands supported by each loudspeaker element. These amplifiers need to be linear to avoid unpleasant intermodulation products.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

It's not real recent, but I wonder if you've seen this:

Bitrex

Cute, but 1 uS isn't going to set the world on fire. Microtips and nanotubes have been used as cold emitters for some time now, but are erratic and have short lifetimes.

John

Nope, but close, FAN7527. Basically a 3842 with a multiplier after the error amp, with a beefier output and more protection circuitry (over/under voltage, overshoot, etc.).

Pretty much the datasheet circuit. Haven't tested the aux supplies yet though (notice D5 and C13 missing on the board, and only two windings on the inductor).

Pretty neat, worked first time, exactly as indicated. Overvoltage protection works too -- kind of unnerving to hear it chatter for the first ~100ms before the error amp pulls in. They really should've built a proper control loop instead of adding that cheap hack.

It's a little unstable, you can nudge the line or load with a transient and see it wiggle for about a second (at ~10Hz, so a Q of 5ish?). It's not unstable, the voltage is always 410V give or take ripple, but it's not the perfectly damped response I like. I'll get in there and tweak the feedback loop, maybe add a 'speedup' capacitor for some derivative action.

Tonight I tested half the PWM board that it powers...

...I discovered these little bastards sucking over 300mA while the TL598 is running. It seems that, in the ~40ns it takes for the '598 to transition, these things are each drawing a peak of 10A or so (the tantalum is specified as ~2.5 ohms ESR, so most of the current is probably coming from the 0.1uF MLCC over by the '598). Multiply by 4, then 2, then 100kHz, and you get: lots of heat.

No, or not yet... it's kind of ugly though.

Need to replace the hookup wire winding with proper litz, too.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

I still listen to

They have one show that is produced live in a cavern 333 feet below ground. Amazing acoustics for Bluegrass. :)

Michael A. Terrell

You have no clue.

Michael A. Terrell

[...]

The big difference is that those valve circuits generally achieve their performance with far fewer active devices and far less feedback, which was the point I was trying to make. Valves are not 'less ideal' as amplifying devices; you can achieve good results with fewer of them than if you tried to achieve the same thing with transistors.

If you pile more and more transistors into a circuit with more and more feedback you will get a lower THD figure than with any practical valve amplifier. That is not because of the inherent 'betterness' of the transistors themselves but because they are cheap enough and small enough to allow circuit topologies that wouldn't be worthwhile to produce with valves..

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

You do need an alternate universe to allow complementary symmetry outputs, though. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

...I had wonderd if a device using positive ions might work...

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

The mass ratio between even a proton and an electron is about 1800:1, which makes holes in silicon look very speedy!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You might cover the development costs of the new device if you sold it to audiophools as part of an all-valve amplifier for driving sub-woofers. The speed wouldn't matter very much as long as the glow moved in time to the music so they could see they were getting better sound.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

That's impressive. I wonder what the grid current is like. Roughly 100 nA maybe. Since grid current consists of two mechanisms, which can sometimes cancel at some negative grid voltage, I'd expect it to have above, maybe way above, shot noise. But I haven't worried much about toobs, at least amplifier toobs, in a long time.

I'll probably stick with BF862s for the few low-noise things I'm doing now. One of those will operate in a vacuum far better than any toob can maintain!

John

A good jfet can have noise below 1 nv/rthz and Gm of 40,000 (in tube terms). And very low gate current compared to a tube's grid current.

John