Trucker Preferential Treatment

If it was a bunch of blacks in the US doing this they'd have called in the strike fighters by now...

Reply to
bitrex

It's also illegal to occupy a home and tell police to bug off when they demand you come out.

But because I'm a true patriot interested in a fair and balanced representation of US history I tell children these are photos of Tienanmen Square:

bitrex

Emergencies by their very nature require immediate action. Mind you, given how long this has gone on for already, one might question whether it can now qualify as an emergency.

Anyway, it has to be laid before Parliament within seven days, and either house of Parliament can vote it down.

Later on, if 10 members of the Senate, or 20 members of the House of Commons, sign a motion, there must be a debate on whether to revoke the emergency within 3 days.

So there are significant protections in place to prevent abuse. More than we have for similar legislation in Australia, where the executive is forever trying to get more power and less scrutiny.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I learned something again. Thank you.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

So two wrongs make a right??? WTF are you talking about???

"Non-violent" truckers blocking a major artery between two countries or bringing a major city center to a halt may fit the definition of "non-violent", but there's nothing harmless about such acts.

How exactly are the Seattle protesters connected to the trucker protests? Do you really think that the actions in Seattle justify others illegal and harmful actions?

Well, it's mostly settled now. Truckers were given tons of time to vent, then told to leave. Those remaining were hauled off to jail and their vehicles impounded. Not entirely unlike when a child sits in the floor and refuses to move. We all have to learn personal responsibility.

Reply to
Rick C

Of possible interest to you...

There is litigation regarding the use of emergency powers. It is continuing even though the emergency powers have been rescinded.

Of course, this can be a twin edged sword. If the court says it won't second-guess executive decisions, then future governments will be emboldened in their use of the power.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Hey Ricky, if that were TRUE you would PRODUCE IT, but you DON'T! So it is just more of your BULLSHIT.

Reply to
Flyguy

"Blocking the road" may be assault, in that it makes the drivers feel threatened, but it's not battery, against which the drivers would be entitled to mount a physical defense.

"Cannibal leftists" don't actually exist - except in John Doe's fevered imagination - so, as usual, his claims about what they might want to do if they did exist tell us quite a bit about his psychotic fantasies, and nothing at all about the real world.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

The rhetorical "cannibal leftists" DO exist: they demand TOTAL COMPLAINCE, deviate in ANY WAY and you will be cancelled (or maybe just reprimanded as in the case of Caryn Elaine Johnson, aka Whoopi).

Reply to
Flyguy

Flyguy thinks that Whoopi Goldberg is a cannibal leftist?

This is serious dementia. He needs to get himself admitted to the nearest psychiatric hospital as a matter of urgency. Unless - of course - that's where he is posting from, which seems very likely.

Quite why he thinks that a rhetorical cannibal leftist would be any different from the regular - if utterly concocted - cannibal leftists that John Doe witters on about escapes me. The phrase is clearly being used for rhetorical effect, but the effect of spouting nonsense is to make you look stupid.

Neither you nor John Doe seems to mind looking stupid, and you certainly don't shrink from giving that impression, but I doubt if you realise quite how stupid you actually look.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

LOL!!!! SNIPPERMAN can't read simple English!!!!! That, of course, IS NOT what I wrote. I suggest that you REREAD it as many times as necessary (10-20 min), and report back.

Reply to
Flyguy

It isn't what Flyguy thinks he wrote. It is implied by what he wrote, even if his reading comprehension isn't up to detecting implication.

If he starts off about "cannibal leftists" demanding total compliance - presumably of other "cannibal leftists" - and then cites Whoopi Goldberg as an example of somebody who wasn't compliant enough, he is implying that she is a "cannibal leftist".

If you can manage reading comprehension, which Flyguy clearly can't it, doesn't take all that long.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

The truckers have made their way to Washington. They seem to be circling the beltway at the moment. Well, not at THIS moment. I think they are all still asleep. I've read their intent is to clog traffic on the beltway to get the attention of the governments. I'm not sure how pissing off people trying to get to work is going to help their cause, unless they really believe there's no such thing as bad publicity.

We kept going to work during the beltway sniper incident. How many people did they kill? I forget. We aren't afraid of no convoy.

Yeah, given the lowering of Covid mandates, I think these guys are going to sputter out shortly. What if you give a convoy protest and nobody comes?

Reply to
Rick C