Trucker Preferential Treatment

You would starve to death without a lot of "anti-intellectuals" to grow and ship your food. I suspect that Asimov would have too.

Democracy means that people agree that they are not superior to everyone else; that people have differing opinions and different talents and common rights. Asimov states above that he is superior. He wrote corny juvenile fiction. He didn't feed anyone.

Reply to
jlarkin

Open borders furnish cheap labor.

Reply to
jlarkin

As has been shown in many other cases, to be at the discretion of the prosecution. Yup, you can't be convicted of a crime you are never charged with.

Reply to
Rick C

So the truckers are anti-democracy?

Reply to
Rick C

Of course.

And without intellectuals we didn't have any of the modern conveniences, e.g. warm houses and electricity.

No, it doesn't.

Besides, we don't live in a democracy.

He was superior in some ways, and happy to proclaim it. But not all ways, and happy to proclaim that too.

He, quite sensibly, railed about people exhibiting the Dunning-Kruger syndrome.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:su8l25$igt$2 @dont-email.me:

Yes, we do. HERE in the US at least.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

'Anti-intellectuals' means a hate group, right? We can do just fine without any such groups. Growth and shipment of food is a decoy issue, inserted for the purpose of distraction.

In the Nazi suppression in Poland, all government leaders, military officers, and intellectual leaders (clerics, professors, doctors...) were at peril; there's something on the order of 50,000 bodies under Katyn forest. Hate of a group, against 'intellectuals', is NOT harmless.

Reply to
whit3rd

Asimov did get a Ph.D. in Chemistry. His fiction wasn't either corny or juvenile - it was highly regarded when he wrote it. He made a lot more money out of his popular science writing, which was excellent.

He wasn't in the business of growing food. The people who are grow more food when they listen to chemists, but farmers do tend to be anti-intellectual.

The Australian Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) spent money with sociologists to work out how to get farmers to pay more attention to science-based advice, and the answer turned out to be to concentrate on the farmers who were more susceptible to the scientific advice. When they started making more money by growing more food, the other farmers paid attention to what they were doing.

Being anti-intellectual isn't a virtue.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

So does union-busting. The US political system is more responsive to the wishes of the rich - capital - than it is to labour.

Over the last forty years pretty much all the increases in the productivity of the US economy have ended up making the top 10% of the US income distribution richer. The remaining 90% have stayed pretty much where they were when Reagan came to power. Some groups within that 90% have gotten swapped around and it sounds as if the truckers haven't done well.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

"Anyone familiar with my scribbling knows that I separate modern society into two categories: World Turners and The Useless."

A famous German wrote a book on the same topic it was called "Mein Kampf" I wonder if the Breitbart editor has read it.

Reply to
bitrex

Correction, a famous Austrian painter, rather

Reply to
bitrex

"Anyone familiar with my scribbling knows that I separate modern society into two categories: World Turners and The Useless.

Me? I’m no World Turner. I’m one of The Useless."

And look how far being useless took him! All the way to an editor of Breitbart!

Trump-ism: a con perpetuated by self-defined useless people. These guys must be chuckling all the way to the bank over how desperate many Americans are to have someone tell them the truth, no matter how stupid a truth it is

Reply to
bitrex

The type of useless person who'd no doubt still be very surprised the day one of the world-turners decided to simply take him at his word and bust a cap in his ass, wholly unimpressed with "grovelling to world-turners" as a viable job description.

Reply to
bitrex

Seems like the truckers blocking the bridge between the US and Canada has been cleared. I guess those truckers won't be carrying any goods for a while. Who knows what it will take to get their rigs back once they are out of jail.

Reply to
Rick C

More "peaceful protesters":

Whatever legitimate driver's legitimate grievances may have been it all gets co-opted by militia nutters and generalized anti-government whackjobs, the type who's mission in life is to protest their inability to put a gun up the ass of anyone who isn't themem...

Reply to
bitrex

Trudeau invoked the Emergencies Act.

Dean Hoffman

I don't really see why that was necessary. If I park my car in a public road, blocking traffic, and refuse to move it, I would expect to be arrested, and see my car towed. It would not be a defence that I was protesting about something.

Admittedly, I'm not in Canada, but I would think the law to be roughly the same there.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Should be an educational experience as to whom law enforcement really respects more, civilian police-lovers, or the people who write their checks.

Reply to
bitrex

I got the impression that Trudeau could unilaterally impose it without a vote of Canada's Parliament. That doesn't seem right for a free country.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

An emergency is something that comes up fast. An emergencies act is one that lets the government act fast, without wasting time on consulting people who can't actually help solve the problem. The actions will be assessed after the event. A free country wouldn't last long if it wasted time on unhelpful consultation before acting.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman