Triple Charging Gaps to Vegas

I am bringing my Leaf to Vegas for someone to work on. Unfortunately, many mechanics refused to touch anything EV, even if only to drop the battery down for me to work on.

My Leaf currently have 15kWh, which is fine from the SF area to Bakersfield. However, there are three major charging gap in kWh. Mile gap is misleading. (1) and (3) are around 25 miles.

(1) 20kWh: Baker to Valley Well Rest Area. (2) 17kWh: Boron Rest Area to Barstow. (3) 16kWh: Bakersfield to TehaChaPi

With 25kWh (15+10) after upgrade, it should not be a problem for me anymore, but for my fellow older Leaf gamblers.

Reply to
Ed Lee

John Doe stated the following in message-id <svsh05$lbh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me

posted Fri, 4 Mar 2022

08:01:09 -0000 (UTC):

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Doe's post ratio to USENET (**) has been 61.2% of its posts contributing "nothing except insults" to USENET.

** Since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Doe has posted at least 1898 articles to USENET. Of which 173 have been pure insults and 989 have been John Doe "troll format" postings.

The John Dope troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Dope troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Dope troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Sat, 18 Jun 2022 12:57:17 GMT in message-id <NYjrK.298019$3%% snipped-for-privacy@usenetxs.com.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that John Doe does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

PfbDFAhYnlKQ

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

There are lots of gas stations. I don't even have to think about it.

Reply to
jlarkin

But some people have to think about paying $6 to $7 gas.

Reply to
Ed Lee

In message-id <t6nt3e$7bp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me

posted Thu, 26 May 2022

12:50:54 -0000 (UTC) John Doe stated:

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Doe's post ratio to USENET (**) has been 61.2% of its posts contributing "nothing except insults" to USENET.

** Since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Doe has posted at least 1906 articles to USENET. Of which 173 have been pure insults and 994 have been John Doe "troll format" postings.

The Troll Doe stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the Troll Doe stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless Troll Doe has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Sat, 18 Jun 2022 13:59:22 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t8klnq$cug$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me).

NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that John Dope does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

iKsCeBL0opfr

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

Wow! Does this mean you can only get ~25 miles on a charge? I can get just about that much from my electric wheelchair and most of that energy goes into moving the chair, not me! (and a wheelchair isn't typically designed for long distances)

Reply to
Don Y

Yes, a giant suv or pickup just got expensive to drive very far. That will hurt lots of people. GM and Ford will need to play catchup when everyone wants little Hondas and Toyotas.

The war on fossil fuels isn't making a lot of friends.

Reply to
jlarkin

With 15kWh, i get 30 miles at 50MPH or 50 miles at 30MPH.

I did (2) cruising at 33MPH with blinker, still have 10 miles left. With many angry drivers following. "Good Sam" was not good to me. Their driver wants $300 to tow me 5 miles, even with 5 miles insured. He said he was 30 miles away and they can't find any body else. Hopefully, AAA got more drivers.

I drove 12 miles up (2000ft to 4000ft) from Baker and have 6 miles left. Turn back downhill and back to 16 miles. Pay $200 (24 miles round trip at $10/mile) for the tow truck to bring me back up to the turn around ramp.

Currently in Primm, waiting for someone to bring me a mobile charger. Their old L2 charger is gone. Still building the Electrify America. Or wait for 100 miles AAA towing that i signed up 2 days ago.

There was a Hydai driver waiting for AAA because CCS was not communicating with his car. CDM works fine for me. It was not equipment problem, but CCS protocol problem.

Basically, 100 miles towing is a must for EV drivers.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Well, after dropping off my Leaf, i am going to drive my Son's Lexus 300 (16 miles / gal) 1000 miles to Seatle, burning 60 gal of gas and $370. I am entitled to it, after saving all the carbon quota with my Leaf for my son to burn.

Reply to
Ed Lee

At "in town" speeds (stop and go -- averaging 19 MPH according to the trip computer in the car), we can go about 350 miles on a tank -- assuming the air conditioning is on MAX the whole time (common this time of year).

On the highway? A bit over 500.

And, that's a big "box" vehicle.

Yikes! Folks drive that speed in our residential neighborhood (limit being 25 so you know 35 is the norm). City streets are 45 (which means 55). Doing less than 70 on the highway will be met with lots of ire from other drivers!

Hmmm... we have towing insurance ($5 or 10/year) but I doubt they'd ever expect us to need it for more than a few miles as there are service stations, repair shops and HOME within that range.

I'm not sure I understand that...

Seems like a small generator would be worthwhile "cargo".

Wow, I can't recall ever needing towing to handle something that was so much in *my* control as is "refueling"! I recall being stuck in holiday traffic on the Mass 'Pike coming home from school -- for 4 hours. But, knew that there's be a gas station nearby, regardless.

Reply to
Don Y

From Baker, 16 miles uphill from 2000ft to 4000ft. First turn-around ramp is 12 miles away. I figure that i could not make it to the next station 23 miles away. So, i had to turn back to the Charger in Baker. A tow truck was nearby and he gave me 20% discount from still highway robbery of $240. He said he need to drive 24 miles round-trip, about 30 minutes at $500 per hour rate. I would not have paid that if i was not in a rush.

Yes, can't wait to burn 60 gallons of gas on my son's Lexus. See my other post.

Reply to
Ed Lee

My Audi gets 22 mpg! But nobody gets great mileage driving the hills of San Francisco.

Reply to
jlarkin

My son's Lexus is perhaps 20 years old. He said 16 mpg highway.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Even the 6 cylinder Lexus isn't supposed to get that crappy a mileage.

Reply to
rbowman

Ed Lee is a very odd fellow. He bought a BEV that has maybe 70 miles of range when new and the battery is now nearly shot. He seems to enjoy this form of self flagellation, spending loads of time on trying to improve the range and charging rate. He is probably 1 in a million in this regard, which means there are 330 like him in the US. I guess they haven't found their way to s.e.d yet.

Reply to
Ricky

Yes, if you are a complete moron and can't drive an actual BEV with some range. What Ed is doing is like driving a car with a dented gas tank, so it only holds two gallons.

What a maroon!

Reply to
Ricky

Sounds perfect for BEVs! Use power on the uphill side and put it back in the battery on the downhill side.

Reply to
Ricky

So, what was the range likely to be (assuming an obsessive, overly cautious driver) when new?

What happens when ALL batteries reach that point?

When the starter battery in an ICE dies (3-8 years, depending on climate), much of it's materials are recoverable (recyclable). And, the cost to replace is relatively low ($100 and 15 minutes of your UNSKILLED time).

Reply to
Don Y

Some BEV manufacturers consider EOL to be when the capacity of the battery reaches 70% of the original capacity. That is still useful, but less convenient on trips. If your cell phone battery reaches 70% of the original capacity, do you throw out the phone? Do you even consider replacing the battery? No, why? Because you are ready toss the phone in general.

My phone and car are about the same age, 4 years. The phone battery is at 85% of the original capacity and the car is at 93% and over 40,000 miles. I think it's going to be ok. The car is losing around 1% per year after about 2-3% in the first year. I'll probably be at the 20 year point before I consider replacing the battery in my car. I'm hoping I can get a different battery with more capacity.

Reply to
Ricky

There are still plenty of us around. More like 33,000. First gen Leafs are still holding in price.

Reply to
Ed Lee