Transzorb safety

When using two back to back zeners for overvoltage protection in a high voltage application is there any way to detect an open failure mode? If the transzorb fails open it is then as if it is not even there. I do not see any way to actually test this failure mode continuously.

Does anyone have any tricks that may make it possible or know the probability of an open failure?

Reply to
Jeffery Tomas

he

any

I can't say much about the probability an open failure - it depends on your application - but the following article discusses the use of redundant TVSs.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

On a sunny day (Fri, 9 Dec 2011 22:03:03 -0600) it happened "Jeffery Tomas" wrote in :

Put a neon with a higher voltage over it, it will light up (or perhaps even blow up if you leave out the series resistor).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje