Transmission line behavior

I use cheap figure of 8 lamp cable for speakers, but it's only a short run. For long run cable, you need to keep the cable impedance low, otherwise you can get base end cone flapping distortion. The output z of modern solid sate amps can be only a few milliohms and that's easily wrecked by hi z cables, especially on 4 ohm systems.

My ears are stuffed - around 10Khz last time I checked with an oscillator. Too much sound level while working in music in the 70's...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

ChrisQ wrote in news:RAz4p.75$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe23.ams:

of

In my neighborhood, base end cone flapping distortion occurs far after the neighbors have called the cops to complain about the stereo noise so large speaker cables are just a waste of money. 18" B-52 prosound monsters are WAY TOO LOUD on #18 lampcord or shielded mic cable. Even

10A of audio to them calls the cops!

Jeff Foxworthy at a frat party - "Hi again, Officer Murphy! I thought you said you didn't want to have to come back out here because of another noise complaint tonight?!"

Oddly, if I setup the 1400 watt DJ system in the backyard of some mansion for a kid's birthday party, no cops are called....probably because the neighbors are dancing in front of the big speakers....(c;]

Reply to
Fred

None of the commercial manufacturers make anything much good for him and people like him. They are all trapped in making what the mediocrities = can setup. Fix him up with a real (TM) electronic engineer and deck of cards size box to work with.

Reply to
josephkk