Transmission line behavior

Sylvia Else wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Faraday shielded speaker cables is the most effective. Instead of using truck battery cables capable of 500 amps for speakers, try balanced mic wire about 16 or 18 guage with foil shielding used for microphone drop cord. Leave the foil shield open and insulated as close to the speaker terminals as is practical. On the amp end, bring the shield drain wire out and hook it to the chassis of the power amp close to the speaker output terminals.

This keeps RF out of the speaker wires as it can't get through the "antennas" between the amp and speaker boxes. Solid state amps, if you look at any schematic of the IC or component parts directly coupled amps, have a DC feedback from the speaker output point straight back to one of the little input transistors. RF feeds back to this input low level transistor and uses it as a detector diode...driving the amps DC balance crazy and demodulating the old analog TV video and sending it up the transistor chain of the power amp to blow the speakers.

Good Belden mic drop cable makes great faraday speaker wires....if you don't tell anyone your not using truck battery cables with golden connectors fit for a king you paid $400 for, of course. If they find out, everything "sounds muffled".

It's the "Monster Cable" brainwashing.....

Reply to
Fred

I think the entire system, turntable, amplifier, and two speakers, cost less than that, even when adjusted for today's prices :) The speaker cable was indistinguishable from thin lighting flex. It worked well enough, except for the pickup from the TV.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

"Fred"

** Really ??

15,625 Hz whistle is clearly audible to most young folk - but hardly an major annoyance.

Unlike an old blowhard like you.

** How absence makes the heart grow fonder and gilds the lily too.

( Wot a wack job ... )

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Wonder why the audiophools haven't jumped on mounting the amplifier on the back of the speaker ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

tted

er

t of

ded

Phil, I know 'jack shit'* about matching to stereo speakers. (Do you insist I remain on topic?)

But I have great fun moving magnetic fields around with air coil inductors**. The above matching network works well if R(cap) =3D R(coil) and RC=3DL/R. This doesn't improve the response time of the coils, but it makes the amp driving them much happier.

I would have guessed something similar for a speaker. George H.

*Yank for "nothing at all"

** the fun part is getting Rb atoms with 'pumped' magnetic moments to interact with the field.

Reply to
George Herold

If you have a battery, a source resistance and a switch connected to a transmission line, and the other end of the transmission line has a load (we'll say not the characteristic impedance). At the instant you flip the switch a voltage divider will form with the source resistance and the characteristic impedance of the cable. The voltage will propagate down the line till it reaches the load and then reflect back depending on the mismatch of the cable and the load. The voltage will go back a forth until it stabilizes on the voltage determined by the voltage divider between the load and the source.

Shaun

BTW: no refund necessary, I learned lots!

Reply to
Shaun

It's not weird enough for them. :(

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Audio is such nonsense.

John

This was in a cable. They were no wires just strong all over the place.

The problem is, this cable that was being used is designed for 50/60Hz power and the polyx compound used in it has a very high C/Ft between the pairs. Combine that with a tightly spiral twist cable with others didn't help matters at all. It kind of raised questions about constant drain when used in it's intended application. Use enough of it, and you'd need to start employing PF correction banks.

We resolved the problem by using 250' runs of #10 zip cord with the clear poly compound. We do make that there from time to time, Most likely for some sound products. It's low profit wire and only done when the high profit jobs are slow.

Reply to
Jamie

The once you move the "switch" it is *NOT* DC, forevermore. Like I said, get a refund.

You may think so, but you *obviously* didn't.

Reply to
krw

krw - you can split hairs all you want but you accomplish nothing and prove nothing. My explanation is sound.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Your "explanation" is at *best* sloppy. The fact is that transmission line effects *don't* matter at DC. Steps or impulses are *NOT* DC.

Turn in your shingle and demand a refund.

Reply to
krw

A problem with poorly improvised speaker wiring is inductance and capacitance together. Single conductor wires strewn about for long distances don't work well.

--
I will not see posts or email from Google because I must filter them as spam
Reply to

Oops. Meant to say 'inductance'. I ran some calculations on single conductor wire loops before posting then got confused because all the calculators for this showed final impedance (resistance + inductance) for a given frequency:)

--
I will not see posts or email from Google because I must filter them as spam
Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

Fuck you and die krw

Reply to
Shaun

Anyone you did, probably would.

Reply to
krw

.

ed it

e's

for

Any idea how much? Certainly less than 1,000pF/foot ??

George H.

George Herold

"Shaun"

** Hey - you tryin' to steal my thunder ???

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I expect you're correct here, but your first post -- teens can hear to 22kHz,

60-year-olds can hear to 14 or 15kHz -- strikes me as rather optimisitic. There's a chart here:
... that only goes up to 6kHz, but it clearly demonstrates that your average 60-year-old is not going ot be able to hear 14kHz anymore.

The differences between men and women in that graph is interesting as well... they retain more high frequencies by a significant margin, although lose low frequencies by a small margin.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I could hear 22 KHz when I was 20. At 22K, it was more like a feeling of pressure than an actual pitch. I could walk past a house and hear the 15K from a TV set horizontal sweep, definitely a high-frequency pitch.

John