Ethernet transformer core material

Wht core material is used for ethernet transformers?

Ferrite? Which type? Tape wound?

Thanks.

Reply to
mook Johnson

Red tape wound?

Think about it. Gigabit ethernet works at 125MHz clock rate. Powdered or tape wound iron isn't going to work much over perhaps 100KHz. That leaves ferrite.

I'm not sure of the exact core material type. I think it's Mn-Zn based:

but I'm not sure.

If you're curious, find an old ethernet card with a transformer, and crack it open. (Learn By Destroying).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Thanks I forgot to metion its for 10base-T

Reply to
Mook Johnson

TDK articles on LAN magentics:

Ferrite core characteristics:

Some photos of what's inside:

For data sheets:

It took a while to contrive the proper search term. Search Google for "ethernet magnetics" or "LAN magentics".

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

thanks!!!

Reply to
Mook Johnson

Of course they are ferrite, for high mu for the flux-coupled transformer, but I don't know why you'd say that powdered iron wouldn't work over ~100kHz. Certainly powdered iron is used for inductor cores at tens of MHz, and yields higher Q and generally better inductance stability at those frequencies than any ferrites I'm aware of.

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
Tom Bruhns