Air core transformer question -- help

Could some electronics guru please provide some hints/suggestions to the following ? First, I built a simple DC->AC push-pull inverter with a 12 Volt 7AH sealed lead acid cell battery. The output transformer is a 120 Volt(primary) and 6-0-6 1.5 Amp (max) secondary. This configuration worked fine, and a 60 Watt incandescent lamp connected to the transformer output terminals provided steady light.

I replaced the transformer with an air core transformer, obtained by carefully removing the iron core of the transformer used above, The winding is completely intact, tested by measuring the winding resistance of both the primary and secondary, with the transformer not connected. I am fully aware of the reluctance issues but this time the transformer output is just about 0.5 Volts - 1.0 Volts AC. So what is going wrong ? All hints/suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
dakupoto

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 20:36:18 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Use for RF.

coupling efficiency suffers at low freq.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Removing the core reduces the coupling between the coils.

If you did the experiment with a 50 or 60Hz switching frequency, you pretty much turned your transformer into a couple of loosely coupled wires.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Oops, why did you want to do that? As Tim said there is now little coupling. The voltage is given by the changing magnetic flux through the secondary... no flux, no V.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The iron core couples almost all of the flux from a winding to all other windings. The leakage inductance is a tiny fraction of the total inductance. When you remove the core, the leakage inductance becomes dominant, and the flux from one winding does not couple well at all to the other winding. There are ways to improve the mutual inductance in air-core transforers, such as bifilar winding (interleaving the turns of the two windings). But, now you know WHY they put all that iron in transformers. it is not a mechanical support, it is to capture and couple the flux between windings. And, your results are certainly proof of that!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The reason that there's no flux, is 99% that the B field in iron is magnified from the field (H-field, in physics terminology) that you get with no core. The rest might be that your windings are no longer well-coupled because the core no longer links them, only their geometry does. It is possible to make a transmission-line transformer, very well flux linked, by pairing the primary and secondary wiring, and winding that pair. Your transformer wasn't wound that way (when there is a core, it doesn't matter).

Reply to
whit3rd

Bifilar winding is used in cored transformers when you really want to minimise leakage inductance. There are situations where even a little leakage inductance can be undesirable.

And for precision ratio transformers, each half of a bifilar winding can be identical to the other to one part in 10^9, which can be handy.

Most ratio transformers use bundles of more wires, and can't do better than about one part in 10^7.

See "Coaxial AC Bridges" by Rayner and Kibble.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

For your own benefit, instead of removing the core, you might instead reconfigure it so that an adjustible gap is possible.

EI stampings can be grouped with 'all E' and 'all I' groupings.

Gradually increasing the gap in paper-width-thick increments will show you what's happening as you change the effective permeability of the magnetic core from the initially high value of silicon steel, to that of free space. ( uo = 4 x pi x E-7 )

RL

Reply to
legg

On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 09:58:04 -0500, legg Gave us:

Can we really ever put a price on space?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

For an awful long time, it seems that there has been no end to the mischief possible, in coveting other people's (or even 'unoccupied') space.

Opinions or beliefs, which occupy no physical space what so ever, seem also to end up costing somebody........

Just give it a name and some bright spark will figure out a way to make a buck from it.

RL

Reply to
legg

Thanks to each of for your helpful comments. Initially, the astable multivibrator that I am using to excite the bifilar winding had an oscillation frequency of approx. 5.5 KHz (as estimated from o'scope traces), but now, after some modifications, the oscillation frequency has been boosted to 100 KHz. Now the output is 8 Volts AC, across the primary of the air core transformer, and that is sufficient for my initial proof of concept design.

Reply to
dakupoto

If you want a higher frequency transformer there are all sorts of ferrite cores that you could maybe use. Is there a lot of power involved?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Of course. Just ask NASA.

Reply to
John S

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 04:53:23 -0600, John S Gave us:

I DLd a pic of part of the hifi IPAC probe the other day. I used to make some pretty elaborate and refined SMA runs in some of my rack gear, but these guys are deep into it!

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'm running a promotion this week--prime unoccupied volume a stone's throw from sunny Pluto. Only $1 per thousand cubic feet.

Serious enquiries only.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 05:11:40 -0800 (PST), Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Only interested if you can offer one day transit times..

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

With a 1 cubic mile purchase, I'll Fedex you the deed (quitclaim of course). A super deal at only $147,197,952.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nah, they're an infinite money sink.

Reply to
krw

Faradays law - Voltage induced = N X rate of change of flux. No flux is reaching the secondary!

Reply to
gyansorova

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 09:37:03 -0500, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

I'll come close the deal right after I claim my power ball jackpot of

1.6 Billion dollars (which is what it will be by the next drawing date).
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno