Totally OT: Speed dial

Thanks for your responses guys (except that bloggs person). It's given me food for thought.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

What was incorrect in using the proper grammatical construction of: He called her using speed dial. ??

Reply to
RobertMacy

Nothing, I suppose. I'm trying my hand at some creative writing. The narrative seemed to require a transitive verb. I thought there might be one in common use that I, who rarely use phones at all, was unaware of.

I'll just express it differently.

Thanks.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

cisco 504,303,503 etc have web based management of the speed dial list, _but_ it doesn't let you initiate a call via that interface just edit the presets.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

As a non-native english speaker, my help may be limited. I just searched what wikipedia says: "Speed dial is a function available on many telephone systems allowing the user to place a call by pressing a reduced number of keys".

So, I guess that you may "press" a speed dial (button), or, on a smartphone, you may "click" a speed dial (button). BTW, my daughters "click" on any switch or button (even the real ones).

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

Xed = punched, fingered, executed, pressed, activated... digitated(sp?)

George H. (Time for the thesaurus?)

Reply to
George Herold

Dial is another possible verb, but it doesn't sound good when it is repeated.

If it's important to the story, you could state that the caller "had (he recipient) on speed dial" and let the reader infer the action of calling by going directly into a conversation. Not everything has to be spelled out.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Reminds me of an old cartoon - caveman and woman trying to get to sleep

- dinosaur outside roaring: "Ululate, Yowl, Bawl, Scream, Bellow..."

Caveman: "I wish that bloody Thesaurus would shut up!"

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

That's a good thought. Thanks.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Just remembered: once when I was talking with a published, professional author who responded to my questioning the 'creation' of a word with the following explanation, "The English language is alive: new words are created all the time. Where do you think so many came from to this date? That word succinctly conveys what I had to say: the EXACT meaning, emotion, and effect of what I'm trying to say. What else is important?"

Thus, I've come to the conclusion the simplest form for what you seek would be:

He 'speed dialed' her.

The quote marks indicate you, the author, know the wording may not be accepted, but is NOT an error. And why single quotes? less obtrusive and takes up less ink.

That was fun. Any other questions we can beat to death?

Reply to
RobertMacy

digitated(sp?)

+1