Totally OT: Speed dial

Not a trick question or anything. I just need help with some terminology, particularly as it would be used in the US.

When you use a speed dial on your phone (in particular, a smart phone), what is the transitive verb you use in relation to it. I'm looking for "He Xed a speed dial."

What is X?

Or is such a phrase just not used in practice, with some other kind of expression (which is what?) used instead?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

He speed dialed Sylvia.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Actually "speed-dialed", or maybe "speed-dialled" if you're more Brit/Commonwealth-y inclined than USian.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

It would be fun to fit a real dial to a smart phone. How old would you have to be to know how to use it?

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Well, add a manual telephone switchboard and patch cord and I'd say the upper bound would be about Jim Thompson's age. :)

That said, I'd be surprised if there weren't already an app to simulate a rotary dialing interface available in the iTunes store.

Reply to
mpm

The movie "War Games" popularized the use of "demon dialing". (And for that matter, Zoom Telephonics - the maker of serial dialing devices.) So perhaps demon-dialed would work. But I agree that Spehro's construction above makes the point clear enough.

Reply to
mpm

There is. I have it. It was fun to play with for a short while, and then the novelty wore off. I still have it, but I don't use it.

Reply to
John S

Huh? What's a transitive verb?

either way, i'd drop the indefinite article

He used speed dial.

Reply to
RobertMacy

There's an iPhone app that has a ratty old dial phone dial and it makes the typical dialing noises. Kind of amusing but it's not reponsive enough.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

hamilton

I have not heard anyone use "speed dial" in many years.

With smart phones, its just "I called ....", "He called ....", "She called ....".

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

On a sunny day (Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:13:14 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

You need an app that has 2 wires come out that you can touch together with the right rhythm so you can dial without dial. Doing pulse dialing that way is easier than whistling the dial tones.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Current vintage IP desk phones such as the Cisco 7942G have "Speed Dial" directories.

Smart phones absorb speed dialing into contact management.

Do some IP phones have a user web interface for contact management?

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

There's this really old fashioned thing called a "dictionary."

dictionary noun

  1. a book that lists the words of a language in alphabetical order and gives their meaning, or that gives the equivalent words in a different language.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

"The crow cawed..."

Reply to
Robert Baer

Metronomic dialer app.

It's supposed to be possible.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It is. I've done it.

Reply to
John S

You, sir, are a true

John S

OK, I'll read through one (on average, I'll have to read half of it), and then when I find the word I'm looking for, assuming it's a single word, I'll know where it lies in the alphabetical sequence.

I'll let you know the outcome in a few months.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Ah yes, and there were people who thought you could prevent outgoing calls on those real phones by having a lock on the dial. So naive.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else