torturing caps

No, actually. His point (one) was that startups don't do any good if they manufacture offshore. That exports jobs and technology both, since the technology gets refined over time (with experience).

He thinks we're selling our seed corn. Could be.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

.

actually

maximum=20

if

statistical

=20

they=20

Tabby confuses testing every lot with testing every device.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

diodes

How do you get that? It is a different machine, with a different = capacity in units per hour.

I cannot say that it does or does not support your position.

It was a really long time ago. Decent clean rooms even back then. =46airchild it was. Maybe it was part of an IC fab though.

Reply to
josephkk

actually=20

maximum but=20

if=20

statistical=20

would=20

issues=20

diodes

needed

If you have a failure rate of 0.1 % on simple parts like diodes and transistors, you have such process control problems that is time for a major line stop and overhaul to find/fix the problem(s). =20 If you are talking about things like x86 processors 0.1 % failure rate is probably ok. Functional parts are speed graded based on wafer tests. Or so says my ex-Intel friends.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

actually=20

maximum but=20

if=20

statistical=20

the

20

=46or the HS 601 program at that time. Not memories, maybe processors = (but i think maybe not), not SSI, not discretes, not passives. Statistical = Lot Accptance Testing on everything; and they did test the living shit out of those parts. I didn't see any vacuum devices though.

?~/

Reply to
josephkk

actually=20

maximum but=20

source

production

space),

if=20

statistical=20

device,

sheets

the

20

while.

The Paper trail.

Reply to
josephkk

josephkk

$file/f_sec4.pdf

actually

maximum but

source

production

million

space),

at

realize if

statistical

device,

sheets

the

20

while.

They eliminated the particular test that would have caught that = particular flaw in the name of Cost-Cutting for Sen. Proxmire.

Reply to
josephkk

I claim you have misread it. The described testing is for new product qualification/characterization. Not for production testing.

Reply to
josephkk

Unfortunately, this does not surprise me. I am glad i don't remember all the testing horror stories and mega-oopses i saw.

Reply to
josephkk

transistors.

still).

In compensation you can have a problem with counterfeit whatever you are buying.

?~)

Reply to
josephkk

And there are physical reasons for that as well.

Reply to
josephkk

:
.

um

if

ical

they

I think you'll find this has been well addressed already.

Reply to
Tabby

issues

Well, maybe 10% would justify a serious process overhaul.

Over 50% failure rate is common on high-end digital ICs. I've heard of

90% in early production. It's not easy to get a billion transistors right, fabbing features a fifth of a wavelength wide. The fundamental idea of semiconductor economics is to fab lots of parts on a wafer and test, test to find the good ones.

John

but

OK, if you don't test the parts, what does the paper say?

John

but

Wait! JAX-TX parts are burned in. So what's the benefit of burning in and temperature cycling parts if they are never tested? How does that improve reliability?

John

$file/f_sec4.pdf

but

The level of error on the P-E mirror could have been caught by the kinds of tests that amateur home mirror grinders use. Or they could have tried to make an image of a real or simulated star. Kodak did it right. The problem wasn't cost; they used a very expensive state-of-the-art laser test system, but they used it wrong. The problem was arrogance.

Read the book.

John

still).

One doesn't get counterfeits from a major, authorized distributor. Maxim parts are mostly sole-source by design, and they aren't very good about ensuring a steady supply, so people are forced to go to brokers.

So, design in multi-sourced parts and buy from authorized disties.

John

but

issues

50% was pretty good on some products I worked on. Early on in a process node, productivity was often measured in wafers per good die. At 10% they'd have a sellable product.
Reply to
krw

It's helpful to read datasheets. Something like a cheap opamp or TinyLogic gate will usually have tiny footnotes that say that some parameters (like pin capacitances) are *not* tested on every part. And some parameters, like leakage currents, are spec'd three or even six orders of magnitude above typical values, because that saves milliseconds on the test machines.

The Agilent 34401A DVM design is interesting. It's a multi-slope ADC that uses cheap HC4066-type analog switches everywhere. If any of those parts has a thousandth of the datasheet leakage, it wouldn't work.

John

but

Statistics, obviously.

Reply to