Top posting

Seems you just outed yourself. You must be Phil Allison in disguise.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Welcome to the good guys Chris, though you will get some darkside twits that will rave on about the joys and everlasting life that is gained by posting at the bottom

David

Chris Carlen wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

Are we distinguishing Outlook (Microsoft Office) from Outlook Express (free with Windows)? Both are full-screen viewers that encourage top posting. Apart from that, they are quite different and I prefer the latter.

Reply to
mc

I'll risk the rage and profanity of the die-hard bottom posters with this topside reply. I don't see where it is such a big deal. If you are following a thread from the beginning, it is often faster and easier to read simple top-posted replies without sifting through quoted context you just read in the previous post. When responding to multiple items, the interleaved method makes more sense. When the reply is very detailed, and the previous context is fairly short (or can be edited for clarity), the bottom post is more appropriate. It is also better for archive purposes, so you can easily read a post without having to sift through previous content in reverse order. Once the order is established, however, subsequent posts should follow the same convention.

It's all about effective communication. Those who have been open to top posting seem to realize this, and the most vocal opponents seem to feel that the use of profanity and childish name-calling will possibly bully others into conformity to their way of thinking. Empty barrels make the most noise, and good ideas are not promoted by angry rants such as I have seen here.

Blast away, losers!

Paul

"quietguy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com...

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Exactly! The question I would ask all the bottom-posting-only advocates is, "Why do people top-post?" They do it because they find it useful!

Precisely! And following a thread from the beginning is much easier now than it was in 1985 when The Sacred Traditions That Must Never Be Altered were established. So let's use *today's* technology effectively instead of demanding that everyone adapt their practices to a 1975 DECwriter.

I'm an old-timer myself (programming since 1973) and I get tired of the people who used UNIX in 1980 trying to set themselves up as an aristocracy that should always set the standards for everybody.

Reply to
mc

"Paul E. Schoen" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Yeah, *PLONK*!

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:54:09 -0300, YD Gave us:

You're an idiot. Try learning a bit about Usenet headers, dumbfuck.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:36:58 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen" Gave us:

Plonk to the retard!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 12:05:56 -0400, "mc" Gave us:

They do it because they are lazy, non conformist fucktards.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Or at least spawned by the same truckstop w**re....

Reply to
Brian

Nah, PA is a down-under truckstop w**re. DimBulb (a.k.a. Fuchednthehead) is a SoCal truckstop w**re. I doubt their mothers ever visited further than 10 miles from where they were born, but maybe their fathers...

--
  Keith
Reply to

I came to this group to learn. Most of you were here first and you established whatever rules you deemed appropriate, so I felt it was appropriate for me to honor those rules. I find that it is no trouble whatsoever to comply with the group's wishes to bottom post. All I needed to know are the rules.

I do not understand why there is such a resistance to just be cooperative.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

At the same time, the strong opinions of two or three people do not constitute a "rule" however much they want it to be.

What I would ask all of them is: Why do you think people top-post? It's not just to defy the traditionalists. It has actual advantages.

Reply to
mc

Yes. Laziness is at the top of the list.

Reply to
John - KD5YI

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 21:42:31 -0400, Keith Gave us:

I am from Southwestern Ohio, KiethTard... errr... FuckTard.

You, on the other hand, likely have one ear that is lower than the other from inbreeding.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 01:48:17 GMT, John - KD5YI Gave us:

It's these "modern" kids with ther anarchistic, mosh pit punk mentalities.. The "rules are meant to be broken crowd" is what I call them. They wear their pants down past their asscrack, and resort to violence as opposed to arguing a point like an adult.

They are not all that bright. The have no clue as to just how conformal they are, and the things they choose not to conform to gets them pegged as less than adult. Or downright unsafe. Look at the road racing death statistics here in Southern California as an example.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:52:23 -0400, "mc" Gave us:

Like: "I can be a lazy, TOFU fucktard." ???

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

For the reader as well as for the writer! And that's a good thing. Why should we all have to scroll down repeatedly to see what's new in every posting, as if we were reading it in printed form as people did in the

1970s?
Reply to
mc

and that is revelant because?

Nope, don't even wear glasses.

--
  Keith
Reply to

--
You don\'t if the poster trims properly and either inline posts where
it\'s appropriate or bottom posts.  That way the chronological order

Time doesn\'t run backwards, you know...
Reply to
John Fields