Toob sound?

Here's an analogy for you: it doesn't do any good for my FM receiver to have a threshold sensitivity of -100dBm if the ambient noise is at -80 dBm.

IOW, if hi-fi amp distortion is below a threshold of audibility, then it doesn't need to be lower or 0. Moreover, if two amps both have distortion below a threshold of audibility, it doesn't matter if they are characteristically different.

I could not call them "hi-fi buffs if they aren't clear regarding what hi-fi is. Yes, one needs to use caution in reading specifications. It is likely that most of us in s.e.d are well aware of specsmanship games played by vendors.

The point of a hi-if element is to not "have it sound" at all. To have it below an audible level is to say it has no sound. This is a separate task from intentionally processing and coloring. There is nothing wrong with coloring sound sources, but that is a task separate from hi-fi, and one that should be explicit and independent.

I am not aware of any scientific study that conclusively shows that humans can reliably detect different characteristic distortions under

0.5 to 1.0%, for as good or poor as the gross THD spec is (a "paper spec," as you rightly call it). I could never make the claim that "different types of distortion sound different" because I am aware of no evidence that such a statement is true *in general*. By "in general," I mean allow for specific exclusions (guitar amps operating with high distortion are perhaps a good example).

The same processing was used, a processing claimed to be superior by LP fans.

sequence:

  1. LP claimed to sound better than CD, for same master source
  2. Copy LP to CD
  3. listener can't tell the difference between LP and LP copied to CD
  4. If #1 and #3 are both true, then it is a logical conclusion

But perhaps you're saying the technical definition of warm is your 50 Hz mod system.

This is s.e.d. Since engineers deal in applied science in designing electronics, a scientific goal definition must be made. Otherwise, there is nothing to work with.

Even $50 boom boxes have bass boost and tone controls. What is the price range you're looking for? Incidentally, I think most tube audiophile gear is on the other end of the spectrum -- they should be able to afford tone controls.

???

Evidence?

One must question why, if a positive and significant positive listening response is shown across large populations, why this apparently inexpensive enhancement is not more commonplace. Why isn't there a "warm" knob on cheap, mid, and high priced gear? It's absence is very puzzling for such a clear claimed inexpensive enhancement.

I would have to see a good study, since there would seem to be no reason to assume uniformity or even consistancy.

To my knowledge, there is no double-blind evidence that people can reliably detect the low distortions commonly available in today's hi-fi power amps. It is one matter to buy what one likes, for whatever reason. It is another to make general scientific claims about human hearing.

Also, the ancedotal evidence, for myself, and the mass of people I know, is they (and I) can't make quality distinctions between amps with low distortion content. Thus the lack of scientific evidence by those who claim ability to detect differences at these low levels, combined with the anecdotal evidence, leads me to remain skeptical of the claims. I have no reason to believe it. It *may* be true, but the evidence is entirely missing.

Well in my world that wouldn't be so. I would pick the cheapest with distortion low enough such that I couldn't detect the difference between the cheapest one and another one that cost $1 more (certeris paribus). That is, I don't care what the distortion is in either one, if I can't detect it, and like we learned in ECON101, all decisions are made at the margin.

Basically you are talking about masking. It is similar in a sense to the lossy compression of mp3. Where some of the sound content sufficiently masks other content, the content that is masked can be dispensed with.

This is a processing that you believe sounds nice. That's fine, but it has little to do with hi-fi.

To my knowledge, it has not been demonstrated.

The problem isn't inadequate bass, per se, it is insufficient power.

This is exactly the crux of the matter. You, as best I can tell here, believe that because distortion is audible and distinguishable at higher levels, it is audible and distinguishable at lower levels, but just at some scaled down version.

There is no scientific reason to presuppose this sort of linear level transposition of distortion audibility in human hearing. Nature is replete with examples of non-linear responses (including threshold effects) by living creatures to environmental phenomena. Perhaps the window response of humans to many phamaceuticals is a good and well-known example of non-linear response.

In short, there is zero evidence that I am aware of that would demonstrate that humans do *not* have thresholds in their ability to hear subtle differences in sounds. The instrument of the ear may indeed be "sensitive," but that does not equate to infinite sensitivity, nor a linear response in sensitivity.

You're posting to s.e.d. Most know how modulation is performed. If they don't, they are probably a bit out of place here.

This is a compensation nulling (and to some measure imperfect) of another hi-fi shortcoming. It is not a masking.

Well sure. But the fact of life is we only have so many resources. Basically there is no low-hanging fruit left to pick when it comes to amplifier distortion. Today's hi-fi fan who commands even a modest income can get a low distortion and high power amp for fairly low cost in real dollars. This is another way of saying _it isn't worth pursuing_ in nearly all cases.

The fact that the "audibility question" is not "one we can answer in this thread," and about a billion others sends us the message of severe doubt when it comes to valuation of extreme efforts in simply proving or disproving these marginal claims regarding amplifier distortion in hi-fi amps. Information can be expensive at times. In this case, the information is not worth the cost of procurement, as best I've been able to tell.

Again, this is apparently an assumption of transposition of audibility. There is no reason to presuppose this that I am aware of.

More importantly, there is no reason to assume such a thing is necessary, for any practical purpose of hi-fi listeners.

No, the thing to do would be to dispense with the term "hi-fi" altogether rather than promote an oxymoron that obliterates our language. But who can command people to lose interest in hi-fi? Why would anyone do such a thing?

If people can't hear it, and to my knowledge they can't, it has been slayed. There is no reason to presume a "need" for a zero level of distortion. That would be a solution in search of a problem.

Not completely, that is certainly true. But no claim of perfection was made. A *partial* compensation was affordably provided. A less affordable solution such as a graphic equalizer will do a better job. Life, and hi-fi, are about tradeoffs.

Obviously. The question for the user is the mix they deem optimal; that would be balancing the defects as best they can. The designer simply allows them a measure of choice in determining that mix for the local situation.

Oh, it is definitely a no-no.

Regarding scientifically *demonstrable* human ability to detect distortion, it is a reality and has been for some time. Sure, some folks *claim* ability to hear minute levels of distortion, but they haven't been able to demonstrate it.

Maybe they can detect it, but who else cares since the information to really know is exceedingly expensive? It is probably cheaper for those who make these claims to simply buy the stuff they believe is best than to prove the matter scientifically. But this is *sci* electronics design. Without science, it is irrelevent here.

IMO, the people who make these claims should stop making claims they can't prove. They should simply say it is their belief. Then their subjective wants, and real purchases are based on those beliefs, can be made and no rational justification is needed. Doing so would remove the rationality aspect; they would not need to attempt defending what has been an intractable problem given the cost of good information. Just treat it like religion: people can beleive what they want if it doesn't hurt anybody else. What do I care if someone pays $3k for a 50 watt tube amp? I could not care less.

There is no evidence that the fact of non-zero distortion is relevent to human hearing. There is no necessary linkage.

There is a better way to phrase the distortion control techniques in audio amps. The intent is certainly to *cancel* distortion, and in fact this is what is done. It is only that it cannot be "done" in the absolute (zeroed) -- it cannot *totally* cancel it. To say it is lowered is indeed to say it is cancelled or controlled *to a measure*.

You are correct. A bass an treble control are cheaper and don't provide the precision of a graphic equalizer. That is explicitly why I used the term "partially compensating," among others. For tonal adjustment, no one claims absolute perfection any more than one claims amps have 0% distortion.

Reply to
gwhite

Well, I have no doubt whatsoever that 0.5% 2nd harmonic sounds different from 0.5% 3rd. I don't see that as being debatable. Those sorts of test have been done. Its imd that thats at issue as well. A 1k and 1.4k generating a new 400hz at 0.5%,

You are actully way, way, out there on this.

See below before opening one mouth:-)

I can. Its trivially obvious. 2nd harmonic is twice the fundamental, so a g harmonic sounds likes root g. 3rd harmonic is a d on top of the g. You bet your booty you can hear that extra d if its large enough.

I am. There is plenty of evidence for that. Load and loads.

Download the files and listen mate. Hint, a 0.1% thd way worse then

12.5% thd

You need to become a bit more aware, mate.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Correct.

Curiously, there is a wealth of evidence that suggests you are delusional on this matter.

Note the mp3 discussion.

John Atkinson (Stereophile), who is a die hard golden ears boy claims exactly what you claim, but admits to doing numerous controlled tests all with a null result, and simply claims that such tests must be false because he "knows" that there is a difference in non controlled tests.

So, I am with you on the distortion issue,

but you a bit out there with your golden ear claim.

No thanks. 30Hz square wave modulation is what they use for the Daleks.

Not today.

No chance. Times have moved on. Producing an amplifier with say, 0.001% thd/imd at 20Khz, is straightforward

Doing so will not make it sell. Amp specs are pretty much irrelevant today. Most are all good enough. In fact, typical power amps in the pro field have gotten worse spec wise over the last 20 years.

There is simply way, way more to producing a successful selling product then specs. To wit, Windows.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Assuming there is a threshold of detection, I don't really care if it is

1% or 0.1% or 0.01% in absolute terms, since hi-fi amps that meet any of these specs are quite easy to come by, and cheap too.

If you can hear the difference between two different amps respectively rated at "0.5% 2nd" and "0.5% third" in actual music program material, then good for you. If you can only detect it with pure tone input test signals, it doesn't count. Like I said, I am not aware of I am not aware of any scientific study that conclusively shows that humans can reliably detect different characteristic distortions under 0.5 to 1.0%. Maybe it exists, but where is it?

Oh boy, you really got me.

I like your "IF." "[I]f its large enough." Of course, if it is large enough. No one is arguing that. You should have know from *context* I wasn't talking about some guitar amp deliberately driven to high distortion levels. After all, aren't you the guy who wrote "Producing an amplifier with say, 0.001% thd/imd at 20Khz, is straightforward?"

When I say I can't claim it, I'm talking about hi-fi amps, with the characteristically low distortions available. Obviously I can hear the difference at some higher level, but I don't know what my own threshold is (don't really care). Whether it is "absolutely" 1.0% or 0.1% or

0.01% is not what I am referring to.

You can argue some one-size-fits-all figure-of-merit and that 0.5% is too high, but I think that misses the main point: Humans likely have a threshold of audibility and hi-fi amps are available below the theshold of humans.

Have out with it. Please constrain your "loads" to hi-fi amplification.

Nice. The audio industry is apparently 20 years behind the communications and control industries. That's impressive. I am not universally fond of simplistic THD or intermod (THD, as used, is simply a special case of intermod) representations either. That's why I wrote: "for as good or poor as the gross THD spec is." But it is simple and most people know about it, and I'd rather keep it simple if it suffices for the context. For weakly non-linear systems (apparently loudspeakers are an example) using the terms of the more complete Volterra-Wiener polynomial model would be superior.

I don't know what is up with Geddes, in his .ppt file he couldn't even get the title of Schetzen's book (the "bible" of non-linear systems studies) correct. Has he read it?

_The Volterra and Wiener Theories of Nonlinear Systems_, by Martin Schetzen ISBN: 0471044555

I was looking for papers and references on non-linear system theory in the context of predistortion for RF amplifiers some years back. Schetzen's text was almost universally referenced in all the papers I found. Schetzen studied under Wiener at MIT (it was Wiener who first recognized the applications of Volterra's equations for non-linear systems). Wiener is also the so-called father of cybernetics. It took me about 4 years to find and grab a used Schetzen text off the market (at a price commensurate with supply). There are some relevent IEEE papers by Schetzen too.

In any case, for loudspeakers, Gedlee talks about using the memoryless polynomial model of Volterra rather than the complete Volterra model which includes memory. That's nice, because not including memory effects makes it easy. But my concerns here are mostly about amps. I think speakers might be the most difficult problem in hi-fi.

You could use your 0.001% amp and then sum with non-linear blocks providing 2nd *xor* 3rd order distortion at 0.5% at rated power (before hard clipping), listen to actual musical program material in a double-blind test, and prove your claim of being able to hear 0.5% characteristic difference with music program material. I almost assume you've done this, since it is your apparent claim.

Incidentally, can you think of a problem when applying the Volterra-Wiener polynomial model to something like a typical audio power amp (basically a powerful op-amp). I can. Maybe that gross THD/IMD spec isn't all that bad. Why?

Oh, for sure. But what is your excuse? You pointed me to a reference, which itself referenced something (incorrectly) I had already mentioned. What is up with that?

nonlinear googlization:

gwhite

From what I've heard, I agree about speakers. That's where "the fruit is" in my opinion. That's why I stuck with amplifiers, which are at commonly available with at least a couple of orders of magnitude better performance when it comes to distortion.

If your speakers are an order of magnitude worse, which they probably are, then you would be spending "better money" on the speakers. Amps with < 0.01% distortion are commonly available for reasonable cost.

It is not clear to me that people can hear (differentiate) at the 0.1% for music program material.

Paraphrasing what I said: "if I can't hear the difference, then I don't care about the particular characteristics of either (certeris paribus)." I'm explicitly saying "can't hear it."

You're simply calling out the defects (*why* it is a crappy way of compensating). I happen to agree it is a crappy crude way, but compensation it is. It compensates for one thing and brings baggage with it.

I'm talking specifically about the information that provides meaningful data on what people can and cannot hear in the threshold neighborhood. What I'm saying is that it is cheaper to simply build a 0.001% amp for someone, than to figure out if that person's threshold is 1%, 0.1% or

0.01%, and *then* build a system correlated to their tested/proven hearing ability.

I've designed in environments where it mattered if a capactitor cost

4.24¢ or 3.75¢. Seemed pretty competitive at the moment. I compete for my dollars every day. That's life.

Think cost. If the benefits are diminishing, and purchase choices are made at the margin, then cost counts and "necessary" is subjective, if for no other reason than the information costs. People can make whatever subjective choices they want -- it is nothing to me. However, margins in much of audio industry are thin and competition is high. In that near perfect competition environment, the consumer is god. In the aggregate, consumers are saying it isn't that important, even if they

*can* hear "it."

I think I was clear. I said I am not aware of evidence that people can reliably detect the low levels of distortion that are commonly available in todays hi-fi amps.

I am aware of no current need for people to have cars that go 1000 mph. I don't think Chevy is either. So they don't make 1000mph cars.

I never said "low distortion" was not a commercial consideration. Obviously some manufacturers spend more efforts than others on this, depending upon what part of the audio market they focus on. In itself, that says nothing scientific regarding what people can really hear.

The company who does that will likely also find a way around the 2nd Law, so yes, those'll be some rich folks who discover a commercially viable 0% amp.

Well yes, money, or more accurately the resources money buys. That is a general condition of life, and the audio world escapes scarcity no better than any other. Purchase choices of consumers are sending a message regarding how they wish resources to be allocated. Few say $10k power amps to listen to tunes is worth it.

Test it. Put a disguised guitar amp -- with much higher distortion -- on the market, pretending it is a hi-fi amp. You tell me if a hi-fi amp with design goals of low distortion doesn't sell better than the high distortion guitar amp.

As low as distortion as possible for the market/price/cost constraint is the most basic design precept of hi-fi. It is #1. The fact that it is non-zero doesn't change the fact that ignoring consideration of driving down distortion is a no-no. If you ignore that consideration of low distortion as a design goal, you'll get a crappy amp, unless you're really really really really lucky.

Sure, making a living is important. All I would say is that the golden-eared crowd is a niche market. The reasons they purchase what they do is not rationally identifiable, so nonsense hype may be as much a reason for their purchase as anything. Yes, *give them what they want* and note that hype, for example, may be what they want as a value-add to their sound system. Hype has a high gross margin if you don't need too many glossy catalogs and expensive ads. Executives love it.

Reply to
gwhite

respectively

material,

test

Since theyre part of real life music, clearly it does count. Solos, theremins, pianos, even sig gens have been used in music before.

And of course if the threshold were 0.55%, it still doesnt follow that it doesnt matter as long as your amp is below .55%. Why? First distortion elsewhere in the chain, 2nd the possibility of partial cancellation of speaker distortion, which if achieved might make an audible improvement. And 3rd the possibiilty of partial compensation by a different type of distortion.

1.0%.

Reliably isnt the question. If its ever detected, it matters in a competitive hifi industry.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

This is besides the point of your lack of knowledge on proof that a gross thd spec is insufficient, if the thd/imd is too large, especially for value as large as 0.5%. I do agree, that if the thd/imd is low enough, differences between them cannot be detected.

Well, you should have read the whole post first, because the evidence for this is everywhere, and you seem to be completely oblivious of what the files referenced proved.

Yep.

But that's what I am taking issue with your "not aware...at 0.5% level..etc"

This is blatantly incorrect. You phrased your assertion in such a way as to imply that there was no reasonable doubt that such distortion levels could not be distinguished, when in fact, only those pretty much completely ignorant of the field would imply such a fact.

I don't see that there is a threshold, but there is a smeared limit range, below which distortion is inaudible. It depends on frequency for starters.

I am confining my self to your assertions and implied assertions of facts. Whether its hi-if or not is irrelevant.

Your implied facts are incorrect. It is those facts I am dealing with. Stop trying to weasel out by changing the subject.

But apparently, way ahead of you. It is aware of much of what you aren't.

I use the claim that a *real* amplifier with distortion < 0.01% thd/imd at 20 Kkz, has distortion that is audiable undetectable.

Such an amplifier, invariable has low frequency distortion in the 0.002% range, just because of the mechanics of amplifier design.

I don't claim that this is a maximum lower bound. It *might* be 0.05%.

Note that Spice small signal distortion analysis uses the Volterra model.

What am I missing here? What are you missing here?

I have just pointed you to files with 0.1% thd, and the distortion in them was trully dreadfull. The case is closed.

I haven't read hardly any of this thread.