Toggle switch switching time

Anybody got access to this article:

regarding switch time of such switch:
Or simply a guess? 1/5 to 1/3 second?

Reply to
Ed Lee

I can't tell because i can't read the article.

Yes, some of them short out one or more pins while switching.

I am more concerned with the shorting time. I can handle less than 1/3 second. If longer, I would need one to break and one to switch the circuit.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I haven't measured it, but as slow as 333ms would be a very, very long time IMO. For your eBay switch, I'd guess at /well/ under 100ms, maybe

10ms.
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Measure it!

The closure time, from first contact til last bounce, will be several milliseconds, probably less than 10.

The electrical ristime of the first closure will be nanoseconds.

Opening will be faster, maybe zero.

Yes, I didn't read it carefully. Only thing shown in google search.

I guess I want to know bouncing half life time.

I am using upto 24V 6A.

It's probably OK.

Reply to
Ed Lee

4 Poles relay would be much more expensive, if I can find it.
Reply to
Ed Lee

My brain registered a NON-BRANDED GENETIC switch.

Yes, I only worry about total power dissipation.

Yes, as long as it doesn't catch fire. Smoke is OK.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Be nice.

Here's a test on a relay, but the idea is the same.

In this setup, in the upper two traces you can see the three states: NC, transition-in-flight, NO. This was done at low current, signal levels, DC, on two sides of a DPDT relay.

A switch waveform will look similar. The opening transition is almost perfect but closing is ugly.

Mechanical relays are two metallic contacts which move into and out of contact.

It takes a while for the metal to move far enough to make contact but the actual contact happens very quickly - sub-nanosecond as John Larkin has pointed out.

Then the contacts bounce once or twice to give you the spikes. When they open the metal takes while to bend enough to release the contact. There's a bit of microwelding on contact so metal twangs and bounces again.

Mercury wetted reed relays don't bounce - they twang in the same sort of way but the mercury maintains the contact. They don't microweld, so they last about ten times longer than regular reed relays which in turn last longer than open relays.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Sometimes they don't.

A relay will twang, namely ring like a bell, for a long time after a transition. And bells have very complex vibration patterns. The twang affects future actuations.

Reed relays make terrible analog multiplexers, because the high-Q mechanical ringing makes voltages in the mag field and takes a long time to die out.

I don't care about bouncing and/or ringing, as long as they don't short out the two throws. Some switches has center disconnect or middle throw, but they are not heavy duty rating. I might have a separate disconnect switch in series with the function switch, perhaps in lock box door type. The function switch is hidden inside the box. When the user open the lock box, the circuit should be disconnected.

Reply to
Ed Lee

The reeds are magnetic, and they are moving inside the actuating coil but they don't have any effect on the flux threading the actuating coil after they open or close.

You don't get any voltage at all between the two reeds. If you make a total hash of the layout and put the tracks your multiplexer is looking at right next to the leads of the actuating coil, without an intervening grounded track or any other shielding you might run into trouble, but nobody who actually designed their electronics would make such an elementary error.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Someone suggested mercury switches.

Ordered some to try out:

So, how much current can I expect? The listing says 1 to 15A in general and 0.3A in specific.

Reply to
Ed Lee

But I don't trust the failure modes of semis and/or electronics.

Reply to
Ed Lee

What if both outputs are off, with both NC relays and instant spark.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I suggested mercury wetted reed switches, which aren't the same thing at all. Here is one example. Most suppliers of reed relays offer mercury wetted variants.

The do have to be mounted vertically - or within 30 degree of the vertical - but they do have unique advantages

Read the data sheet. Only the Pickering series 40 parts are mercury wetted.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Good thing you don't drive an electric car then. You would live in constant fear.

Reply to
Ricky

If they have NC relays shorting the battery, i won't even ride in it.

Reply to
Ed Lee

What if power is loss to both relays?

Reply to