TO-220 Failures due to lead bending?

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 03:29:03 -0500, "Brian" Gave us:

You're a pussy.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Promise?

John

"Brian" wrote: [snip]

You seem to be strutting. A lot.

Tim

--
-
Reply to

It would be great to have a contract assembler participate in this group. We've just in the last week or so we've discussed ionic contamination, bga soldering, hand tsop soldering, ROHS, tin whiskers, and I think a couple of other relevant issues that an assembler could help us on. But all B wants to do is talk about homosexuality and how smart and athletic he is, although he does seem to have side interests, like excrement. If he knows anything about electronic assembly, he sure doesn't want to share it. But like he says, he owns the business but mostly stays at home, playing with the internet and other things. If he is a homebody, the least he could do is post us a good recipe now and then.

John

Gosh, you do have a rich fantasy life.

John

Yea, but the doggone drives are being mis-applied to begin with. The people 'up front' tried conformal coat. Was a half-hearted attempt with less than adaquate coverage. The fact that they pulled out the conformal coating is enough to tell me they knew they had a problem with the application. Now they want answers. Seems production has learned how to properly form the leads on the fets, so that hurdle has been crossed. My answer is stick a nema 4 washdown drive in the application and call me if you have any more failures.

My isn't it something that this thread had turned into.

regards, Bob

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Reply to
Yzordderrex

Right on.

Like a s***storm, it will pass.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Or a nutless blunder! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Your e-mail address is from

which links to:
which is a rather plain website with missing images for a contract assembly business.

Rising Technologies, Inc. N350 County Road Q Markesan, WI 53946 Phone: (414)507-0507 Fax: (509)562-3484 Email: snipped-for-privacy@risingtechnologies.net

BTW, did you get permission from Mapquest to copy their map data to your website?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Nutless blunder"? Bwahahahaha! May I steal that phrase ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Bwahahahaha!

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Mr. Sparks will not be pleased.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Thanks for the link! Now I can ask him to quote on all our assembly business.

John

I was actually snickering the other night about how long it would take those two to actually follow an EASY trail of breadcrumbs. But you ruined it, now we will never know!

I'll come clean... I read the newgroups alot (and have posted over the years. Looking back at some of those would have given a link, too). I read Roy's posts and they are always the same. So I figured I would post back as DUMB as Roy does in TONS of threads. It went right over his head!

So the reality is, I gave Roy a reflection of himself, and they found it to be everything many of us already see in him. Funny, he thinks I was stupid when I acted just like him in his usual SED fashion!

Larkin, I admit I have seen you contribute much, but you kind of got in the crossfire. But dang, stop playing with people like Roy, it makes you "dirty"!

Reply to
Brian

OK, we're all buddies now. Let's talk about electronics.

John

I do have to say, some of you do act so stupid OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER.....

See what I mean, go look at past threads you guys acted like infants in....

Jim, have you given up being the SED policeman? I remember years back you looking into someone hacking others and posting as others, but it was all your vivid imagination. That kept me laughing for a long time. You have about ZERO stones to throw at anyone when it comes to stupid acts.

The real question is "why" some of you do this stuff for YEARS. And think its clever.

Reply to
Brian

One last comment....

Doesn't it make you wonder ever why some of the people who should be so bright act the dumbest? It is really fascinating. I mean, some are superficial and easy to peg as "limited", but some you can tell are pretty bright except for the occassional "brain fart". Ring the bell, they react.

As for some of the assembly items you mentioned, the big problem with "solutions" is that many of them look good now, will fail miserably in the future. Some studies predict virtually 100% failure rates in under 8 years. Thats scary.

Reply to
Brian

This is just a newsgroup. I (or anyone else) can be as dumb or as arrogant or as goofy as they want here, and it doesn't matter. My main occupation in life is to amuse myself, not to impress anybody in particular.

So, do you generally use water-soluble flux in your solder paste? How do you wash stuff, and how do you guard against leaving ionic/conductive stuff trapped under parts on boards?

John

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 17:35:03 -0500, "Brian" Gave us:

Like you, not posting anything at all in this thread that is contributory in nature. It is the same story for you everywhere.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Having seen a lot of data on the subject, we run no clean. Treated right, it has a lot less effect on the circuitry than a wash process that is not kept really clean. Any cheating at all with a wash process, and the results are quite bad and the boards WILL fail.

With no clean, you just must use compatible processes all through production for it to perform well. Don't do touch up with water soluable and expect to even spot wash it. If you conformal coat, you must use a water based one. Basically, you just have to respect what it is, controlled, encapsulated residue. Most people that have issues with it muck it up themselves by treating it incorrectly.

If you want to do water wash, you simply MUST monitor the process consistently and keep it clean. Isolate the stages' water from each other. Final rinse MUST be DI water, and I really mean must. Deleting this step kills ya. Set the washer PSI and flow rate too low, you have issues. To high, issues. Its a tighter process than one would think.

We have found the synthetic fluxes to work best for us in a no clean process. We just have not seen any issues with it at all. A perfect wash system would produce a board with less contaminants, yes, but I rarely saw this "ideal" anywhere, making, to me, no clean the more practical and reliable process for the majority of products.

Reply to
Brian