Timing diagram understanding....

Hi Folks, I've just switched jobs from being an RF/uWave engineer to a position in a logic division. There's a reason for this and the reason is that the logic guys really need an RF engineer. There have been some changes in the world of ICs for things like cellular, particularly the new DigRF and OBSAI/CIPRI interfaces in chipsets, where the associated companies need to look at both the logic side of things and the demodulation side of things.

My company is wonderful-and we have lots of canned training, but it's not quite enough. The folks I'm working with will teach me quite a bit, but I'm hoping to learn some things on my own to minimize the time those folk need to spend teaching me. In the past I've used Logic Analyzers a few times. What I'm looking for is any on-line stuff that will teach me how to understand a timing diagram. The very simple ones I do understand but now I'm finding I don't understand the symbolism, and the timing associated with clocks, data, strobe lines etc.

If anyone can point me to a good resource, I'd be very grateful! Thanks-

--
Best regards,
Judy

Excellent resources are this newsgroup, sci.electronics.design, and
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic, where binaries can be posted.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

FWIW, I have an old program called Timing Designer. I used it a dozen years ago when I was doing embedded processor systems. .

I am not here to just sell software, but I saw this post and realized I have had it on my shelf for a long time, and if anyone could make good use of it, I am listening to offers, as I have no idea what it might be worth (I know I paid about three hundred for it, but that was a long time ago )

It is a pretty useful tool, over scribbling by hand. Still have the original manual, disk, and parallel port key.

Mark

Reply to
singlewchildren

There's also a very handy True Type font named XWave available at

which can be used to create pretty good timing diagrams with a word processor. It's a small step up from "by hand" but quite handy.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I have an old program called 'Time Crafter' I believe it was a freebe. Its a good basic timing diagram tool. You can find the latest version here

Martin Riddle

Shareware: http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:T_jY7Cpjh3IJ:

*-*-timing-diagram-documentation-tool+$15-bucks+annoying-*-box+zzz+Shareware+Try-it-out-for-30-days

Reply to
JeffM

a good basic timing diagram tool.

There isn't any download link on their page.. ?

Reply to
ErikBaluba

Until you've exhausted all the links on the page, you're just whining. http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:T_jY7Cpjh3IJ:

leads to http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:8eNvuirw6cgJ:

JeffM

I used to make timing diagrams with a text editor. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
I _still_ make them with a pencil and a quadrille ruled pad.
Reply to