Time Delay

Ok, I had a topic on this the other day but I dont think I was explaining what I want very well.

I need a time delay system, about 5seconds. I need to input stereo audio and output stereo audio 5 seconds later.

I need this circuit to run all day, even when there is no body near it to operate it, therefore I can not use any comuter programmes, It needs to be a physical circuit.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks,

Niall.

Reply to
Niall 84

A computer doesn't need anybody near it.

Just turn it on, attach the cables, run the loopback program on the sound card, and leave it. This is no different than any other hardware solution. You can even use a laptop that starts the software automatically when it's turned on.

Reply to
Arlet

This is not a project for a beginner. Got $1000? Just order 2 of these:

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

If you weren't explaining it right, then you should return to that thread and make good there, not start yet another thread. It's your responsibility to explain yourself, not expect others to guess at what you want. And unless you participate in a thread, rather than just starting them and sitting back while the replies add up, then nobody will ever figure out what you want.

And like too many questions here, this is not really a design question. It belongs in sci.electronics.basics which better suits your skill lelel (if you can't explain your problem well to begin with, then you certainly can't design something, because you need to be able to define a problem before you can design a solution). Posting there would also avoid the too often replies where people here are more interested in interacting with each other rather than to the original post, and at least in sci.electronics.basics people won't take your post literally and believe you to be capable simply because you posted here. A lot of times when people believe this is the place to post, for whatever reasons, they end up shooting themselves in the foot because it's not the place to get an answer they can use.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

THe problem is we don't always have a computer in the office. We have 2 laptops, both of which are very often out on other jobs.

Reply to
Niall 84

Goog for "profanity delay", it's what radio stations use to prevent bad words on the radio during phone ins

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Yea the owl 10second delay!!! Thanks a lot.

Niall

Reply to
Niall 84

You need a physical circuit, that can run all day? Well, that's what a computer is (at least if you don't ask Windows to do anything challenging).

If you get paid for your time, if you're only going to need one, and if you don't have other constraints, the least expensive thing you can do is go buy another laptop and run the thing on that. Paint it green and refer to it as a 'circuit' if you must, but that's the way to go.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I am not commending on whether you should do it or not, others will anyway. I assume that you are dealing with 48KHz dual channels 10 bits. You need approx 256K buffers each. You can build it with a 18 bits counter, 256Kx10x2 dual-port ram and dual 10 bits A2D. The parts could be less than a sound card, but the development cost could be more than a home threater system.

Reply to
linnix

On a sunny day (4 Dec 2006 08:26:51 -0800) it happened "Niall 84" wrote in :

That is not correct. A good PC with the right software will run as long as there is power.

Else digitise, store in memory, read out at different address, DA, voila: SOUND!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I told you already. Get two tape decks, mount them to a stable surface such that they're at the same height and level to each other, and on the same stable base, mount one or an array of capstans, and run a continuous loop through it.

Put a dust cover on top, and it will run unattended for months.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise