TI new products

And that's just TI. Boggling.

Oh, I understand it, but _I_ would write Gsamples/s, Msamples/s, ksamples/s, etc. I'm OK with 'S' for 'samples' if the context makes it unambiguous, I already said. I'm _not_ OK with 'S' for 'seconds'. It should be lower case 's'.

HP should be stamped out altogether. Use kW.

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to units.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Publish or perish mentality "What has your R&D department been doing?" "Well not much really except pitching in in other departments to be ready to best support our extant product lines, while we wait on the supply chain to stabilize"

Yeah, share holders don't wanna hear that.

Reply to
bitrex

You are trying to treat this as if it were something akin to SI units. It's nothing like that. It is just an abbreviation, in such common usage that no one with any experience at all should know the usage.

If you don't want to write what the rest of the world writes, that's fine, but don't expect to never have to read it. That's like wanting to hear "get" instead of "git". When I pay attention, it is surprising how few people say "get". I can say "get" all day long and others are not going to change.

Reply to
Ricky

Come on, MSPS is OK (of course I know you understand it). BTW someone pointed me to the fact that I was wrongly using S for seconds (had been doing so for ages) just 2-3 years ago, I changed since - never too late to mend :-). But I keep MSPS, somewhat resisting the temptation to write MSPs, it is sort of an old idiom to me.

Hah! I thought he meant Hewlet-Packard...(I really did). I do think in Watts when it comes to power obviously, like pretty much all of us, but when it comes to car/engine power I think horse powers... (but in Bulgarian, so HP did not speak to me).

I am lax about it as long as things are clear enough, ambiguity can be a killer. May be being a purist is better than my attitude but, like John says, "we are what we are" :-). And of course I hate inches, I always have to convert to mm to grasp it. And for pounds, pints, gallons etc. I still have to use the web...

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

I agree that HP can be abandoned without too much pain. I'd like to see kWh go away, but would be replaced with Joules, a rather much smaller unit. I believe there are 3,600 J to a Wh, so 3.6e6 J to a kWh. Grid level values are often MWh which is 3.6e9 J. So J is not a convenient unit for electrical stuff. The battery in my car is nominally 360 MJ... I think. Did I do the conversion right? One of the nice features of kWh in my car, is the battery is 100 kWh, making the conversion to/from % rather easy.

Reply to
Ricky

You have to click on Technical Documentation (or scroll down to it), which produces a list of items including a datasheet, app notes, and tech notes. Some people just aren't cut out to be engineers...

Reply to
Flyguy

Example: the AFE7903 does direct conversion at GHz speeds, mind boggling:

'With operation up to 7.4 GHz, this device enables direct RF sampling in the HF, VHF, UHF, L, S and C-band frequency ranges without the need for additional frequency conversions stages."

Reply to
Flyguy

Which car? I have the Tesla in the states (mostly at the airport) and a Kia in Puerto Rico. A BEV is not practical in Puerto Rico unless you charge at home and I'm living in Airbnb until I decide where to buy. I'm hoping I have some better choices by the time I'm ready to buy a BEV in Puerto Rico. Whatever it is, it has to be small. A big car in Puerto Rico is a PITA! They have narrow lanes and some roads are really narrow.

Reply to
Ricky

Reply to
whit3rd

Boggling, but worthless, unless you have GHz bandwidth requirements in addition to GHz carrier requirements. Aperture time being small also gives you GHz noise capability... not sure it's worth examining all the bits in that firehose of a bit stream.

So, how much data does a channel-plate multiplier and streak camera output, per second? More, or less?

Reply to
whit3rd

That would be most of the RF industry.

Reply to
Flyguy

Someone who doesn't suffer fools gladly. Technically speaking, pointing out that somebody has got something grossly wrong is correcting them rather than insulting them, but with Flyguy you have to be very explicit or he won't notice that he has been corrected.

<snipped the rest. John Doe isn't very bright either and does feel the need to recycle old insults>
Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

I prefer sa/s.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

W dniu 2022-04-24 o 01:46, snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com pisze:

yes, of course as usual through their forum..

Reply to
Michal

I assume that they usually have a launch customer, which at least shows that somebody likes the idea.

Hey SNIPPERMAN, have you LOST YOUR MIND? You just responded to the WRONG GUY, you IDIOT!!!

Reply to
Flyguy

Nah, from that POV it's no worse than a wideband amplifier. You just need to filter afterwards to select the desired bandwidth. It's an advantage of very fast sampling that the quantization noise gets spread out over a very wide bandwidth so that most of it gets filtered out.

The main issues with RF sampling are: (1) DSP complexity and (2) phase noise. For a fixed-tuned or narrowband application, a single-conversion superhet saves a lot of FPGA resources, clocking hardware, and RTL code.

There are quite a lot of software-defined radio (SDR) libraries out there to reduce the coding burden, but you still need some reasonably hairy-chested hardware to run them on.

A lens will do Fourier transforms with aggregate bandwidths of 1E20 Hz for a few bucks, if you can collect the data. (Say 300k pixels times 300 THz temporal bandwidth.) There's this little problem of collecting it all, of course.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Next-gen wireless networks will have frequency hopping, radical constellation coding, synthetic antenna aiming, all sorts of nasty stuff. It makes sense to digitize the antenna signal and do all the fancy stuff digitally.

The market will be enormous. Envision hundreds of millions of little

6G boxes on telephone poles all over the world.

Bringing streaming 16K videos of cute kittens to everybody's car.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I want everything on one wireless network. Internet, phones, TV, wifi, home automation, cars, utility meters, security, webcams, everything.

Privacy is over-rated.