Those damned rooskies!

Espionage was a problem back in the cold war days...

This old sub-B movie has a few cool bits in it!

It has a big thermonulear explosion right at the beginning...

It talks about manned space flight and the movie is from 1954!

Foggy planet...

A General Dynamics nuclear sub launch! Probably the Nautilus. That was January of '54.

A new branch... for space... interplanetary space... Oh my...

And look at 3:20! Somebody must have been real close to space with a camera BACK IN 1954! No way! I have never seen that footage before.

A centrifuge!

"I resent that implication, these men are volunteers!" At 15:20 the doc talks about an unbreakable access code.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It was a hot topic in those days.

Oberth wrote about space flights in the 1920's. There was a German silent film

in 1929.

von Braun wrote about rotating space stations (for artificial gravity) and about the flight to Mars in 1952 and earlier.

It is interesting to note that early sci-fi films and strips usually had rockets with large tail fins. For instance Tintin "Explorers on the Moon" from 1952 the spaceship lands on the moon with tail first on to the huge tail fins :-).

They nearly got it right NACA ==> NASA in 1958 after the Sputnik I shock.

Both German and US V2 launches carried film cameras on some flights. Even a film camera carried by a weather balloon will show the curvature of the earth.

Pilots passing out at high-G was a serious issue at least since the

1930's. The Stuka dive bomber had an autopilot to do the pull-up in case the pilot passed out due to the high G-load after bomb release.
Reply to
upsidedown