This ADC dissipates only 7.5 milliohms!

That's really low!

I didn't know that anyone still made dual-slope ADCs, much less serial adapters for them.

Bizarre.

 Click to see the full signature

I've seen this typo in a couple of different places lately. It's almost as if a certain page layout package has suddenly started interpreting uppercase 'W's as lowercase omegas and rendering them in their original upper case.

Makes no sense, I agree, but how could something like this happen through human error? Experience leads me to blame Adobe by default.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

Truly a breakthrough in fundamental physics!

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

0.0075 OHMS? Have your apples been mating with your oranges lately*?

  • Wait -- you're from the Bay area. Maybe so.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

It's not as if many people waste time proof-reading data sheets any more.

 Click to see the full signature

It makes good sense, actually. MacOS has always mapped omega to the Z key (use option-z to type an uppercase omega). So there's probably a font-change somewhere, and instead of a 256-character ASCII extension, someone has used an escape sequence. And someone else clobbered the interpretation (or used a font without the right characters). Font substitution would explain it.

I've had trouble recently typing anything in monospace fonts (like, for schematics); some automated process shortens my whitespace, occasionally. Those darned invisible actors in the background: the modern name is 'daemon'. Perhaps we should revert to the traditional 'gremlin'!

Reply to
whit3rd

I didn't know anyone still made 14 pin DIP's.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I invented the dual-slope ADC when I was a kid. Could have made a fortune. But all I could think of was relays to switch the integrator inputs, and that wouldn't work well, so I didn't pursue it.

And also one time, as a kid, I stepped on a dead-bug DIP14 barefoot. That hurt 14 times as much as you might expect.

 Click to see the full signature

I trod barefoot on a windowed 28 pin eprom, that hurt double!

piglet

Reply to
piglet

It is much worse when you stand on the end of a splinter from a multi-strand wire. It's easy to see the DIP packages and pull them out (I've done that too) - but when a tiny bit of wire gets stuck in, it's a bugger to find and remove.

Reply to
David Brown

I invented the 16-segment British flag display at 11, and interleaved memory as a teenager, but they both already existed.

I was too careful to have them lying on the floor. But when I worked in a locksmith shop grinding keys I got brass splinters in my eye a couple of times, in spite of wearing goggles. They made a 2-point bounce on my face and the goggles. Hardly felt it, but it's a little scary to pull it out with a tweezer.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 09:37:25 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso" Gave us:

I got impacted with a steel shaving from a grinding wheel once when I was a kid, and the eye doc used a magnet to pull it out.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They have MRIs for that now.

--

Rick
Reply to

But the magnet is just as likely to pull it through the other side.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Isn't that why we have "managed" health care?

--

Rick
Reply to

With the eyeballs attached.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

The field in an MRI is, at great expense, extremely uniform. So there is nearly no gradient. So it won't move a splinter.

The great gradient is present at the entry/leave phase. The superconducting coils are always energized.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

If the magnetic object is not spherical, there will be a torque. There were a number of "nonmagnetic" materials used before MRI became common - titanium clips, screws, plates etc. Commercially pure titanium has a very low (slightly paramagnetic) susceptibility but it suffers from poor shear strength. It's routine to use chromium, iron, cobalt and nickel to improve mechanical properties at levels as high as 2%. There were a number of "misadventures" before that got under control.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to