This ADC dissipates only 7.5 milliohms!

I once did that, but it wasn't a splinter of wire... it was a cutoff lead from a 1N4001. I think it went into my big toe joint. That was sore for a while.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

But they're physically large, so the gradient is less than that from a small ~1T rare earth magnet.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's half true. The splinter won't change position, no net translational force. But, it's gonna twist, and align with the field- there IS torque.

Reply to
whit3rd

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Grin, When I ran super conducting magnets (for research) we would have the undergrad students grab (tightly!) to a screw driver and slowly approach the magnet. The force goes up very quickly. In theory it's an induced dipole- dipole interaction which should go at the sixth power of the distance. (one over the distance) I never tried to measure it.. (a bit scary if whatever is holding the piece of iron lets go.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That would just hurt.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

What those bozos don't seem to understand is that the superconducting solenoid is suspended on thin struts (G10 or thin wall stainless) to provide thermal isolation. Any force applied to an object in the bore is applied to the solenoid. If something bends or breaks and a touch occurs between the helium can and the much warmer intermediate shield and then the nitrogen can, helium boils off, the nitrogen can pressure drops, humid air gets sucked in, ice blockages may form and ultimately the magnet quenches (which boils every remaining drop of helium away in less than a few seconds..minutes). There are pressure relief ports and burst disks to reduce the chance of a catastrophic failure but, sometimes,,,

Grizzly H.
Reply to
mixed nuts

The eye Doctor made a huge mistake, he should of got out the punches and pushed it the rest of the way in, all the way in!

It would of saved us a lot of trouble!

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

My favorite uncle stepped on a 3" darning needle in the carpet. It penetrated right up the center of his Achilles tendon before hitting bone and shattering into a dozen pieces. They took months to find them all, because they were impossible to spot in Xrays at the time, given the location, but they eventually found the last pieces during exploratory surgery.

If that didn't make you wince, nothing will.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

My wife has an uncle who has been in the nail distributing business for ages. His foot got x-rayed for some reason, and there is a nail inside his big toe. He can't recall how it got there.

It's still there.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den fredag den 18. december 2015 kl. 00.12.32 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

objects like that can move around in the body, it may have gone in a totally different place

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

--
Geez...

Where's the joy in having to slog through pages and pages just to
ferret out what you're talking about?
Reply to
John Fields

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 11:57:57 -0600, "Tim Williams" Gave us:

If it was long enough ago, you would have gotten your life's helping of Cadmium too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

There won't be enough gradient there to pull a splinter either.

A small super magnet is the better tool to do the job.

As a seven year old, I invented hydraulics while researching alternative launch systems for rockets, but again someone had beaten me to it.

I got a fly in my eye once, and when I got it out it was missing a wing. The wing stuck to my eyeball which then swelled up - it was a terrible job getting that out!

Reply to
David Brown

I trod barefoot on a TO3

only two pins but fat and blunt, the wounds were tears not simple punctures, and there was internal bruising too.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

they cancel MRIs for that.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

I don't consider myself neat, but I must be Felix Unger compared to you guys, dropping components on the floor and not picking them up right away.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

How did the transistor fare?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Particularly anything as big as a TO3! I've stepped on a DIP14 but it didn't do too much damage. I've had a lot of them in shoes, though (they were stored, loose, in bins when I was in college).

Reply to
krw