thermister

I'm trying to reverse engineer this controller. I can't find anything yet on its thermsiter. Its a 3 wire thermister, but the third wire does no go to itself. It appears like two thermisters a 6 ohm and a 36 ohm series combination. Top, bottom, and juncion. I'm trying to find a similar thermister. ??

greg

Reply to
GregS

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ...what the heck is that supposed to mean? Not connected?

Are you quite sure it's a thermistor? There are other types of 3 terminal temperature sensors... If it is a thermistor, spelling it correctly will yield better results when searching. "Dual Thermistor" turns up quite a few results.

Ecnerwal

Thanks, I'll try that. of course its K ohm.

greg

Reply to
GregS

series

??

Is it sealed in a vacuum?

How is it used in the circuit?

RL

Reply to
legg

Its a black bead, pretty small. I don't yet know the circuit. It might be a heated thermister.

One heater controller I made years ago, I simply used a thermister driven with high current generating heat. If the liquid had dried up or vanished, the heater would basically shut down automatically, because the air could not dissipate the small amount of self generated heat.

greg

Reply to
GregS

vanished,

A bit scary... maybe... someone will lecture me on vapor pressure...

The typical automobile low-fuel indication is done using a self-heated thermistor. When it no longer contacts fuel its self-heating causes the resistance to plunge operating a relay ;-)

...Jim Thompson

vanished,

My old Chrysler had that for the oil level. All the cars I had since do not have an oil level indicator at all. Only oil pressure and when that lamp comes on it's often too late, meaning blue smoke coming out the tail pipe.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

on

vanished,

Real men don't own Chryslers ;-)

...Jim Thompson

on

vanished,

Well, my savings at the point when I received my degree were quite miniscule. At least I didn't have any loan to pay back. But my trusty old Citroen would not have passed the mandatory road worthiness test and it also wasn't a "presentable" car. I mean, imagine picking up a Japanese business visitor from the airport, him being in a fancy Armani suit and me hopping out to crank the engine. It also leaked a bit when it was raining. Oh, and it had Snoopy on his dog house painted onto the side.

Hey, didn't you drive a Dauphine after receiving your masters? Ok, that's a notch above the Citroen 2CV, had two more cylinders, but still ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

My money as a student was very much like yours. I bought the Dauphine NEW when I was a junior at MIT for $1345 at Luby Chevrolet in Boston ;-)

Actually did keep it until I finished the Masters in 1968.

By then I also owned a 1964 Dodge Dart... oooops, that's a Chrysler :-9

(My annoyance with Chrysler products derives from all the dud rentals over quite a few years... now I specify NO Chrysler products.)

I then bought a 1966 Toyota Corolla and a 1967 Mercury Cougar.

...Jim Thompson

Then we had different priorities. After an oil rig summer job I spent that kind of money on a bicycle. Custom frame, top notch shifters, the works. Still have it. The Citroen was basically free, a basket case where someone had messed up an engine overhaul. Fixed it, then drove it for six years until it started losing stuff. The scariest was the sudden loss of "cabin pressure" on an autobahn. I saw sparks flying in the rear-view and almost froze. My trunk lid had come off and that was the source of those sparks way back there ...

The one with left-turn and right-turn lug nuts?

Same here. Gave my Chrysler to my brother when I had to buy a bigger car to schlepp heavy lab gear. A year later he called me and said the car went a bit nose up like an airplane during rotation. Followed by a horrible noise. The rear right coil spring showed up in the rear-view, inside the passenger compartment!

To me there were too many engineering bugs in that car. An aluminum alternator bracket that always broke until I made one from steel. Or the water pump that was prone to spectacular dumps until I found a Mercedes pump I could somehow roach in there.

Toyotas have been good to me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

I bought a 1977 LTD... it cured me of American cars.

More recent vehicles...

1977 280Z 1983 280ZX 1983 Sentra (x2, for the girls) 1986 Maxima 1996 Q45 2001 Frontier 2005 Q45

I'm about due for another middle-age moment and buy a sports car. I understand that the Nissan "Z" car will return, totally re-designed back to sports car size. I hope they put the 4.5L engine in it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

on

series

ster. ??

Some people sold pairs of thermistors (with matching pairs of close tolerance thin film resistors) to create a part that gave a roughly linear resistance change with temperature over an appreciable temperature range.

I remember buying and using such an assembly back in 1993, probably from BetaTherm - ti cost too much for production (and anyway the microprocessor could linearise a single thermistor) but was dead handy for iniital experimentation.

This might be your device

For some of the theory involved, this paper might help - I've not read it in detail, but it looks as if it might be relevant

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman