Looking for a couple of digital hall effect sensors

Can anyone suggest such a device, and where I can buy just a couple of them? The only sensor I've found locally at a retail level is the analogue UGN3503U, at Jaycar.

I only need a couple for a bit of experimentation. I'm in Melbourne, if it matters.

Peter

Reply to
Pete

"Pete"

** The Farnell in One catalogue has a number of Hall Effect switches from $5 to $12 each +.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You can probably rat a couple of old FDD's. Many use a hall effect device for speed control.

Geoff

Reply to
swanny

Thanks for the pointer, Phil, but it appears that none of the Allegro switches listed are digital. And, on further examination of the Allegro web site, it appears that all of their digital switches have a strange clocking scheme to reduce power, where the device is turned on for 60us every 60ms (less than 0.1% of the time?), which may rule them out even if Farnell had them anyway.

I'm trying to detect a magnet passing a fixed point, although I haven't done any real timing calculations yet - if I can't find a digital hall effect sensor, the whole idea is a bit of a washout anyway.

I'm still trying to find details on the web for the Honeywell and Optek devices that Farnell lists.

Regards, Peter

Reply to
Pete

Jaycar now has a grey-market equivalent to the Siemens HKZ-101 hall-effect sensors which were used as the primary sensor element in the electronic hall-effect ignition systems of most prestige cars made during the mid to late 1980's (my 1985 Saab 900i has such as system). I'm not sure of the cat-# for jaycar's equivalent device though a quick search of their website will reveal it.

They cost just under $20 each.

Regards,

Craig.

--
 SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996

Honeywell's data for their hall sensors does exist on their own website, but when I was last looking to see if there was something similar to the Siemens HKZ-101 before Jaycar announced their substitute, I did find all the info on Honeywell's devices and looked at a few of them as contenders.

Craig.

--
 SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996
Main site: www.sunrk.com.au - Ebay Shop: www.ebayshops.com.au/sunripenedkernels
  Ph: +612-9520-2547 - Fax: +612-9520-2557 - Mobile: 04-2163-0547 (int. +614)
Reply to
Kralizec Craig

Scavenge them from an old computer fan. Newer fans tend to have the drivers integrated as well but the old one were just the Hall sensor with a digital output.

Reply to
Lord Garth