Shaker LED flashlight

Just for fun and as a reinforcement of the electricity books my son has been reading. I bought a shaker flashlight. (magnetic flux cutting across wire moving electrons , the electrons then stored on plates of a capacitor) The flashlight has a magnet that slides back and forth through a coil. The flashlight cost $1.00. After I opened the package I noted a small screw rattling inside the light, so I took it apart and I found two cr2032 lithium batteries in series powering the LED. The coil is connected to a fullwave bridge and the unit has a .22f capacitor. There is a 10 ohm resistor in series with the LED. If I remove the batteries and short across the holder the LED will not light, no matter how much I shake it. I just found the batteries in there to be a disappointment. :-) Mike

Reply to
amdx

Have you tried removing the batteries and NOT shorting the holder? They may be using the batteries as storage devices.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Nope, they're nearly always lithium coin cells, which are primary cells (i.e. not rechargeable). It's a gimmick to attract the ignorant. The coil doesn't even slow down the weight as it goes by, so how is it going to extract any energy from it?

Try dropping a rare-earth magnet down a copper tube, if you want to see what a shake-type generator ought to look like.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I have a shakey light. It has a clear case, you can see all the circuitry. No batteries.

But the OPs light may still work without the batteries if the remainder of the circuit is properly designed.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Since my post I drew out the schematic and yes, by shorting the battery holder I was shorting the storage capacitor. The LED does light, but very dimly. Also I noted the capacitor was not soldered to the board, it just had the leads bent. Interesting also is that the 5.5v capacitor has 6v of batteries across it. Mike

Reply to
amdx

amdx has a rip-off--those use coin cells. The original, authentic shake light used coil+magnet.

Best, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

I don't mean it can't be done. But all the ones I've seen had coin cells.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well, the good news is, you now know of a cheap source of CR2032 batteries (which can be expensive elsewhere)...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Actually, there are cheaper sources. I got some of them for a penny each, after throwing away the ASIC and 100 SMD LEDs. I need a few thousands of them, but it wouldn't justify the gas cost. CR2032s are approximately 25 cents each in volume.

Reply to
linnix

plates

Correction, digikey has them for 14 cents each in QTY 4000.

Reply to
linnix

plates

Where'd you get the ASIC and LEDs?

I've got to stop shopping at Wal-Mart...

mrdarrett

flux

plates

Try the yellow one next to it.

Reply to
linnix

"amdx" wrote in news:85a60$47850f6e$45013935$ snipped-for-privacy@KNOLOGY.NET:

mine had a CR2032 and a CR2025,NO CAP,coil not connected,the "magnet" was an unmagnetized soft iron slug.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Phil Hobbs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@SpamMeSenseless.pergamos.net:

who says the "magnet" really IS a magnet? Mine wasn't. just a soft iron slug.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

On the fakes, I'm sure it is. That's why it doesn't interact with the coil. No dB/dt, no induced voltage, no opposing magnetization, no drag on the weight--rattle rattle.

Terminal velocity for a 5/16 inch NdFeB magnet dropped down a 1/2 inch copper pipe is about 1 foot per second. You can easily see the difference between copper, aluminum, and brass tubes due to their conductivity. It's pretty interesting to watch.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yup lots of fakes, or so I've heard. Mine has no batteries, and the illumination is proportional to the # of shakes, up to a point where additional shakes make no change. And it has a magnet, of course. Damn thing can almost support the flashlight's weight when held against the 'fridge.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Reply to
amdx

I was going to post, at least I got two cr2032 batteries inexpensively, but then I decided they are probably worth what I paid for them. Mike

Reply to
amdx

And only $4.99 at Radio Shack! Mike

Reply to