L200C

Am I missing something when it comes to using a L200C. The spec says it can deliver up to 2 amps - I can't get more that 700mA out of one!

I have a stiff source of 32VAC and getting about 40volts DC into the device after rectification and smooting. No matter how I configure the damn thing I cannot achieve a 2A output at

12VDC.

I have tried three devices in case one was faulty. A pretty straight forward cct I thought.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Farticus

**What is the thermal resistance of your heat sink?

Also, I suggest you examine Figure 3 in this spec sheet:

You're going to need to shed some Volts somewhere.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

"Trevor Wilson"

** Absobloominlutely.

You are asking the poor thing to dissipate over 60 watts !!!

The input voltage must be no more than 25V for any chance.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I was missing something alright - attention to detail!! I need to create a few power supplies with 32VAC input capable of 12VDC/2A out. A quick reflection brought to mind the L200C which I used some years ago. So, a quick scan of the spec sheet and my eyes fell on the opening paragraphs, Vi=40; Vimax=60; Dropout 32; Adjustable and 2Amps. Aha, just the thing for my application. Without further ado, I hashed up a birdsnest test cct, hence the no-go situation.

Too much on the mind? Taking things for granted? - no excuses, I cocked up!

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, as per Figure 3. I now have a triac in front of a bridge rectifier to power up the L200C at about 18VDC, it adjusts perfectly to 12V and limits beautifully at 2A.

Regards.

Reply to
Farticus