The reality of driving an EV cross-country

They made some Linux derivatives for "ordinary users" they're called Android and ChromeOS.

Reply to
bitrex

Here's the car for some of the other guys here. 1984 HURST OLDS:

(emphasis on OLD)

Look at that gearshift, an automatic with extra steps. Horrible. I don't resent that it had a 307 V8 with 140 HP though, that was just the fashion at the time.

Reply to
bitrex

Why, "mainstream PC users" don't do very much with a PC other than browse the Web, write emails, watch YouTube videos...distros like Ubuntu and Mint are fine for that stuff. It tends to just work with a very large amount of off-the-shelf hardware

I can think of tasks it's not well-suited for like AV production, hardcore gaming, etc. largely due to lack of a big software ecosystem for those.

That is to say if you're doing tasks that require diving into the command line on Mint or Ubuntu you're probably not a "mainstream PC user"

I've died like, five times driving mine. Pretty scary

Reply to
bitrex

I enjoyed that video. The commenter has a good sense of humor. I liked the HP descriptions. lol

I'm not clear on how the Hurst shifter was any different from a regular automatic with the 2 and 1 positions, except that you had to move multiple levers. What that for real? I suppose it allowed for better control in racing, in cars that actually had enough HP? Or was it a complete farce as the commenter seemed to be saying towards the end?

Reply to
Ricky

On a sunny day (Wed, 8 Jun 2022 15:05:35 -0400) it happened "Tom Del Rosso" snipped-for-privacy@that-google-mail-domain.com wrote in <t7qruq$mk$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I think everything electric is a bad idea I was reading today here in the Netherlands new companies no longer can get connected to the 'trickety net as it is overloaded with chargers and other companies that now move to 'trickety for everything as it is cheaper than gas powered. (heating for example).

When something happens NOTHING works anymore, no emergency services as those run on 'trickety too..

Diversification is a word those green idiots have never heard of it seems.

Last night an other power outage just past midnight for a few seconds here. Had to set my microwave clock and radio clock .. The gas powered central heating kettle went into reset mode and woke me up with beeping noises... We are sooooo dependent on 'trickety! Computers did keep running on the UPS...

Still looking for a cheap RTG

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 8 Jun 2022 21:17:23 -0000 (UTC)) it happened John Doe snipped-for-privacy@message.header wrote in <t7r3l2$jb2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

You have no clue what Linux is it seems.

Oh boy..

I just tried the latest Ubuntu on a x86 laptop and also on an ARM computer (Raspberry). It is so 'automatic' it just works with all the exotic hardware.

Everybody can use it without knowing much about Linux..

I am personally waiting for the 'transporter', much simpler to beam down to some location. US has it of course, its a DOD secret. After scientists reported teleporting the first particles, any following publications were silenced ..

It will be as common as smartphones once it leaks,

It might be great for getting around town, if it doesn't

Around town use a bike. Much greener. Many people also have electric bikes here.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I think it is funny that your world is falling apart, while everyone else's world is doing just fine for the most part. Larkin interprets concerns about the direction we are headed as a day to day fear of living. I guess that's the way he handles concerns.

You, on the other hand, seem to live in a world of your own creation with everything going wrong. I guess it's good that you don't create the world the rest of us live in.

Reply to
Ricky

I'm sure glad there's never a shortage (real OR artificial) of petroleum products (/cf/ Arab Oil Embargo) that might cause rationing or other measures to control (limit) demand!

Reply to
Don Y

The boomers were entering their mid 30s in 1984 and were nostalgic for the cars of the 60s already. The 1968 Hurst/Olds made 390 HP with a Hurst Dual Gate shifter that was something other than a gimmick.

The boomers are still nostalgic for cars of the 60s like the latter, that to this day they remember driving as teenagers or in their early

20s. I have no nostalgia for the cars of my teens and 20s, the ones I could afford were pretty bad:

The Volt is 100% the nicest GM product I've ever owned and I've owned a number of them over the years, starting with my hand-me-down 1990 Chevy Celebrity that had a pushrod mail truck engine + single point injection in the throttle body.

Come a long way since then. I do think GM can produce excellent cars when they _want_ to and often have some of the best designers on tap in the business, they have money to throw around when they want to also. But in actually designing anything excellent they're regularly hobbled by an army of bean-counters and generalized corporate stupidity.

Reply to
bitrex

He's got it backwards, the world would be a nicer and more secure place by far if mainstream users all used Linux. Only people who know what they're doing should be allowed to mess with Windows..

Reply to
bitrex

There's no need to subsidize the electric car biz when they could just stop subsidizing the oil biz. But the US government doesn't really want to do the former or stop doing the latter, until someone in the former biz starts coughing up enough cash to make it worth their while that is.

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Thu, 9 Jun 2022 10:05:05 -0400) it happened bitrex snipped-for-privacy@example.net wrote in <m6noK.10511$ snipped-for-privacy@fx07.iad:

Probably he uses Linux without even knowing it. His drone may use it, his TV may use it, his wireless stuff may use it... lots of things use a version of Linux. My Linksys wireless access points use Linux, my Samsung TV uses Linux If he has a cable router chances are 90% it uses Linux. I did put Ubuntu as MS WIndows replacement on this now 10 years old Samsung special edition laptop in 2012 Everything worked... Later I added a Slackware boot option, and then also a Debian one. I tried the new Ubuntu running from an USB stick :-) It gives you the choice of playing with it that way or install it. That USB stick can be put in any x86 based computer with sufficient memory.. Just bring your own OS. Amazing, started from that USB stick, put in my Huawei 4G USB stick and was online Automatic! Firefox browser.. No scripts needed, only needed the PIN code for that stick.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 9 Jun 2022 01:09:54 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Ricky snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You should read your own senseless babble sometimes for fault finding in your brain. You drivel and attack any one opposing your 'lectric pet hobby. The world here where I live is functioning a lot better than where you hide out. :-)!!!!!!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The weird thing is that high-performance electronic instrument makers use Windows. Look at LeCroy, Tektronix, Agilent, or whatever they call themselves now. Bad choices, all of them. Why?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

lots of legacy code or developers stuck in windows?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Most of the "subsidies" are in-baked, regardless of gummit involvement.

How many NON-dealer shops can you bring your EV for service? Are they just (effectively) veneers over the dealer's parts department? Can you buy a third party battery, motor, etc. to repair/replace one that has failed in your EV? What modifications can you make to the drivetrain? Plant?

Besides choosing the scent of your air freshener, what choices do you have in your vehicle's future?

[Imagine all of the folks NOT employed giving you those choices and the pricing inflexibility that ensues]

Will you ever be able to find a *used* EV that "po' foke" can afford?

An ICE owner can *choose* the amount of "driving capacity" that he wants to afford -- up to the size of the metal container that holds the fuel. Can you buy a "cheaper" version of an EV that is only useful for 20 mile/day travel? And, if you wanted to drive 300 miles, could you do so, practically?

E.g., we drive ~100 mi/wk, on average. Rarely more than 20 miles at a time.

But, *could* opt to drive to feenigs AND BACK (~300 mi) without refueling. And, don't have to resort to an "extended range" version of the vehicle to do so. And, this is likely true for *every* ICE in town, regardless of "trim level"/price point.

Reply to
Don Y

Why "bad"? What *can't* the kit do BECAUSE it runs on a Windows platform?

It's the same "make or buy" decision as with any component/IP in your product (why not make your own cardboard shipping boxes?)

You *make* when you can add value. You *buy* when you can't ("value" can take the form of reduced cost).

Embrace a bit of FOSS and now you need to become expert in that "component" -- cuz there's no one you can CALL (or sue!) if it fails to perform as expected. "Linux, Inc."?

Folks who roll their own OS's either have trivial needs *or* exotic needs that can't (economically) be met from COTS offerings. Building on Linux is, effectively, rolling your own OS.

Reply to
Don Y

Well, no; it's a server except for when it's a client... it is interoperable with a per-unit install cost that isn't at the whim of Microsoft, Apple, IBM...

It also has a market niche where one wants a secure OS, with examinable source.

Reply to
whit3rd

Many of out clients run Windows Server in VMs on high availability systems. What's spinning up all those VMs? RedHat and kvm.

Reply to
rbowman

And on even days you can buy 5 gallons of gas... Been there, done that, and lived through the inflation when Nixon's wage and price controls unraveled. Jimmy really should have stuck to peanuts rather than buying that pig in a poke.

Reply to
rbowman