The new kilogram standard base material

Is Silicon 28

As it turns out, we can play with single Phosphorus atom stuck in there.

Now that is electronics.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And that seems to the University of New Wales quantum computing project.

I went through the lab a couple of years ago on a visit set up by the IEEE - I ran into the chairman of the Royal Society of New South Wales (of which I'm a member - but not a fellow) who had got in on the same tour.

It's am extravagantly equipped laboratory - I noticed the Raith electron beam microfabricator, and got told about their stock of liquid helium-3 (which they get from America). The woman that runs the team - Michelle Simons

got to be Australian of the year in 2018. They do have the record for the longest-living Q-bit - about 30 minutes.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That video took me to this video...

Bizarre.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Yeah, the wobble rule has been known about, but this flip rule was explained by a couple stellar level mathematicians, and therefore not spotlighted by the lessers of the decades and centuries since.

That guy explained it perfectly with the two different sized mass pairs. in the inertial animation thingy.

The reason it looks weird with objects like that t handle is that its center of mass makes it move with a little bump as each flip rides through and it makes one think it is some impossible feat.

Ever see those setups in other countries where some guy makes it appear as if he is levitating or such? (taking donations, of course) Not hard to flip them for more than thirty seconds at a time. :-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

At 0:54-0:56 "need to apply a SMALL magnetic field" is blatantly contradicted by what follows.."a LARGE superconductor coil" and they show the vessel 1:06-1:07 (may be near size of small garbage can).

IF "a SMALL magnetic field" would truly do the job, then the earths magnetic field might be ideal; no extra equipment (go green).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Sadly, the earth's magnetic field isn't all that stable, and with 50Hz AC r unning around the lab it changes (to some extent) at that frequency.

The two microwave frequencies needed to flip an electron next to a spin-up phosphorus nucleus versus that required to flip an electron next to spin-do wn phosphorus nucleus don't differ by all that much, and do depend on the m agnetic field, so having superconducting coil that lets you set up a known and stable magnetic field is definitely an advantage. The fact that it shie lds the experiment from external magnetic fields is probably another.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Robert Baer wrote in news:sFVEF.231784$ snipped-for-privacy@fx48.iad: